interesting beekeeping item

  • Lew Best
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007

      Hey guys

      Found something on EBay that’s interesting; anyone know anything bout it?  Item number is 190107946642.  Has something to do with producing comb honey but the description is as confusing to me as it is to the seller (who says it’s a quote from an old publication) and tells him nothing.

      Lew near Waco, TX

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Mike McDonald
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007

        While I can’t be absolutely certain, the excerpt the seller posted seems to indicate that it is a device for installing foundation into a precursor of “Ross Rounds”. During the time period that this device was produced, section honey dominated the market. You could buy jars of extracted honey. But most folks wanted comb and all. To achieve this, methods were developed to produce either round or square sections of honey comb. This looks like a device for inserting foundation into round inserts.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007

          Thanks Mike

          Kinda neat looking for whatever its purpose.  I just vaguely remember comb honey being popular (but just a piece of comb in the bottle) when I was a kid (I’m 64 now).  We’ve come a long way imho; I personally never liked chewing the wax.  J

          Lew

        • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
            In a message dated 04/30/07 7:41:54 A.M. Central Daylight Time, bee_keeper@... writes:

            Hey guys

            Found something on EBay that’s interesting; anyone know anything bout it?  Item number is 190107946642.  Has something to do with producing comb honey but the description is as confusing to me as it is to the seller (who says it’s a quote from an old publication) and tells him nothing.

            Lew near Waco, TX

            Sammy Replies:  I have no ideal, never seen one.  How many colonies did you lost this passed winter?   I came through the winter with three.  One was in a weaken stare while the other two came through with flying colors.  Will keep those two for breeding.

            Sammy
            For my profile visit http://www.sammymbrown.com
            Honor Our Americans who have died in the Name of Freedom visit, http://www.americanfallen.com
            Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
            add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
            Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Check out this web site: http://www.messianichebrews.com
            Host your Web site with BizLand go to: http://www.brownsapiaries.com

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
              In a message dated 04/30/07 9:39:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time, bee_keeper@... writes:
              I just vaguely remember comb honey being popular (but just a piece of comb in the bottle)

              Sammy Replies:  That is chunked comb honey.  Cut comb honey is honey still in the comb but cut out of a frame allowed to drain then packaged with no other honey.  Combed honey is honey soled in a section or frame without removing it from the section or frame.  Chunked Honey is honey in the comb cut into pieces small enough to go into a jar then liquid honey is poured in to the jar and usually covers the piece of honey comb.

            • kgbenson@sc.rr.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                From: FarmerBrown49@...
                Chunked Honey is honey in the comb
                > cut into
                > pieces small enough to go into a jar then liquid honey is poured
                > in to the jar
                > and usually covers the piece of honey comb.

                Y'know, I can see comb honey, and I can see extracted honey, but what
                is the allure of the chunk honey?

                Keith
              • Lew Best
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007

                  I went into winter with 12; many real late removal that weren’t very strong.  Just have 3 now.  Looking for swarms/removals for sure!!!!!!!

                  Lew

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                    Visual appeal. It's like a fancy label; it just looks good to some people.
                    People like me. 8-)

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                      In a message dated 04/30/07 12:08:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bee_keeper@... writes:

                      I went into winter with 12; many real late removal that weren’t very strong.  Just have 3 now.  Looking for swarms/removals for sure!!!!!!!

                      Lew

                      Sammy Replies:  I am back up to five though I had six until a few minutes ago one I removed from a house didn't make it.  I knew it was a slim chance because they didn't have a laying queen, only sealed queen cells and brood.  They had apparently just swarmed and we didn't know it.  Then I have a tree with bees in it to go cut and bring home.  It's rough starting over again.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                        In a message dated 04/30/07 2:47:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time, kgbenson@... writes:
                        Y'know, I can see comb honey, and I can see extracted honey, but what
                        is the allure of the chunk honey?

                        Keith

                        Sammy Replies:  It gives the consumer a taste of both so to speak.  The Chunk honey is much easer to produce than section honey and you don't have to be so picky about what the chunked honey comb looks like as you do the comb honey.  The chunked honey is one piece of honey comb inside the jar with extracted or other wise liquid honey around it.  When producing chunked honey you can use less than perfect honey comb.  One other thing it brings a much higher price than extracted alone and is fairly close in price to section honey.  With comb honey and section honey the caps need to be white with a little air space just under the cap this is what gives it the white color.  If there is on air space under the capping's the caps take on the color of the honey under them.  This reduces the selling qualities of the comb honey but does not affect the chunked honey.