RE: [Beekeeping] Digest Number 1598

  • Lynn Powell
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2007
      I am a long time beekeeper and have 150 - 200 hives at any given time. As a
      newbie, you would probably be best to stay clear of used equipment. You can
      use used equipment, but before you try to you would need to boil it out with
      lye water. We used to be able to get Red Devil lye at the store, but that
      company quit making it. You can still get lye from Ebay, though, because it
      is used for soapmaking. It is caustic and therefore a tricky job to get the
      equipment into a big vat of boiling lye and out again without getting it on
      you. It will burn you not only with heat, but chemical burns as well. We
      have a big tank outside on legs that we build a fire under to do this.

      On the subject of foulbrood - you need to have caution on buying BEES and
      equipment from people also. If your state has bee inspectors (apiary
      inspectors), you should ask them to inspect the bees you intend to buy. They
      know what to look for with foulbrood and can give you pointers on any other
      pests or diseases the bees might have as well. Here in Arkansas I've heard
      the big commercial beekeepers tell that ALL bee hives have foulbrood (that's
      why I'm warning you!). Here, the big guys with thousands of hives find
      foulbrood and instead of destroying that hive (you are supposed to kill the
      bees, burn the frames and comb and bees, then boil the boxes and other parts
      in lye or at least scorch them - I don't feel good relying on scorching
      because I might miss a little) they just put in a lot of antibiotics
      permanently in order to try to suppress it enough that the bees don't all
      die. Then, if they sell nucs or hives to someone, the disease blows up on
      them. My hubby is a part time inspector and he sees all this. We have had
      bees for years and we do not keep antibiotics in the bee hives. We did buy
      some bees one time a long time ago from a guy that died, not knowing that he
      had bought them from a commercial guy. We lost a lot of bees over that one
      as we did the right thing and burned them. There is no cure for foulbrood.

      Lynn

      $771/month*
    • Tami S
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2007
        Lynn.....

        Thanks for your input!!!!

        > You can
        > use used equipment, but before you try to you would need to boil it
        > out with
        > lye water. We used to be able to get Red Devil lye at the store, but that
        > company quit making it. You can still get lye from Ebay, though,
        > because it
        > is used for soapmaking.

        I have heard of boiling equipment in lye water. A beekeeper in Wichita
        Fall, TX that I speak with mentioned doing this. He has a source of lye
        (which he now will have to fill out paper work for thanks to 9/11). He
        does this periodically with his own equipment. I have a bit of Red Devil
        left, (I make soap), but figured it was pulled due to 9/11.......... I
        have seen lye on e-bay and have found sources else where as well.
        Shipping can be expensive (haz-mat), but with my S/O and I both in
        trucking, I might be able to get him to stop and pick me up a bucket!
        LOL. Also, I used to haul out of a janitorial supply house (often
        suggested on soap lists to try to find lye at!) when I was an OTR
        driver....... They are relatively local to me. I might try to contact
        them. They used to be the friendliest of people.

        > On the subject of foulbrood - you need to have caution on buying BEES and
        > equipment from people also. If your state has bee inspectors (apiary
        > inspectors), you should ask them to inspect the bees you intend to
        > buy. They
        > know what to look for with foulbrood and can give you pointers on any
        > other
        > pests or diseases the bees might have as well.
        More sound advice. I'm aware (from us exchanging a couple of personal
        e-mails) that your husband is a part time bee inspector. From reading, I
        know that Texas has bee inspectors. Would you by any chance have quick
        access to a phone number for Texas? I know that I can find one (heck,
        either an Internet search or a call to the local extension office could
        help me). That is why I said "quick" access.

        The person that I have most recently talked with locally here (that I
        might be able to go and help) has about 17 hives right now. He and his
        wife (an older couple) wish to keep the count about 20.

        Thank-you to EVERYONE for some feasible input.

        Tami/TX