Re: [Beekeeping] Newbie to group and bees

  • Mike Stoops
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2007
      Kalia Kliban <kalia@...> wrote:
      Tami S wrote:

      > Hi. My name is Tami. I live about 40 miles NW of Ft. Worth, TX.

      > We have acquired one brood hive (complete, I do believe)....  I have had one
      > beekeeper suggest that we start with at least 3 hives. I have also
      > recently located another beekeeper that has a bunch of used equipment
      > (hives, supers, frames etc) that he is interested in selling.  This beekeeper is also willing to let us
      > come and work with him
      some so that we can get some hands on experience!! !!

      I'd take him up on the opportunity to work in his bee yard, but avoid the
      used gear.  Start with fresh equipment.
      Kalia

      I agree with Kalia.  I also agree with the suggestion that you start with more than one hive.  Two would be minimum and three would be better.  Why more than one, you ask.  If you have problems with one of the hives you can use the resources of the other(s) to correct the one.  With only one hive you can really struggle if you have problems with it.  Also you can compare one hive to the other, look for similarities and differences.

      Mike in Lower Alabama  LA

      Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
      in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
    • Tami S
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007
        Mike.....

        > I also agree with the suggestion that you start with more than one
        > hive. Two would be minimum and three would be better. Why more than
        > one, you ask. If you have problems with one of the hives you can use
        > the resources of the other(s) to correct the one. With only one hive
        > you can really struggle if you have problems with it. Also you can
        > compare one hive to the other, look for similarities and differences.

        Exactly what I was told. Something to compare with.

        Tami/TX