Re: [Beekeeping] blue hue to wax

  • Dale Carlson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
      Possibly mold

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "tg885" <tg885@...>
      To: <beekeeping@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:57 PM
      Subject: [Beekeeping] blue hue to wax

      > hi, quick question, i'm a novice;
      >
      > i inspected my hives recently, noticing some of them had died. well, i
      > noticed that the comb although empty, had this blue like hue to them,
      > what caused that?
      > maybe i can get some pictures of it posted here.
      >
      > terry
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • sherill lockwood
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
        Sounds like that swarm may have been best treated with
        a can of Raid!!!
        Just kidding. I am so sorry you got stung so many
        times. You are a braver woman than I to go back again!
        Sherillynn
        --- Stefani Leto <parkdayknitter@...> wrote:

        > By the time I got out to a swarm call tonight (my
        > first that wasn't mine), it was nearly dark. t was
        > nice and low, on a branch in an ornamental tree. I
        > sprayed with sugar water, held my swarm catching box
        > up under the bunch, brushed with a paintbrush, and
        > got most of them in the box, but then all heck broke
        > loose. A bee got inside my veil, and by the time I
        > had gotten it out, I'd of course gotten stung there,
        > and in the next few minutes, got stung a few more
        > times.
        >
        > I got about 70% of the bees, but by the time I got
        > my clothes put back to rights, they were crawling
        > back out of the box on the ground. I had put a sheet
        > under the box, so I decided to leave the entrance
        > open, cover the box, and go back with smoke and a
        > better spray bottle tomorrow. I hope they don't take
        > off again before morning.
        >
        > Any other helpful advice?
        >

        > Stefani in the Bay Area of California
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > always stay connected to friends.
      • david flathman
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
          i got a call from a guy to remove a swarm.
          it was 4 int the afternoon.
          i said if it is there this late in the day it will be there in the morning before you wake up. i was at the house just after sunrise. with my cardboard box and duct tape.
          similarly it was about 3 feet from the ground hanging from an azalea.
          i put on the veil and gloves and slid the box under the swarm.
          shook the branch and 80% fell in. i closed the box leaving a corner open for any stragglers to get in with the queen.
          then i took a few minutes to finish my cup of coffee.
          brushed a few stragglers into the box. duct taped the box shut. and knocked away any clinging to the box.
          got in the car and checked my watch - 10 minutes.
          bam - this would be one to remember.
          david

          Looking for earth-friendly autos?
        • Stefani Leto