Re: [beekeeping] Digest Number 353

  • Rlgriggs01@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2003
      Dear Minnesota friend-beekeeper:
      I believe that I would plant the small acreage you mention, to White
      Dutch Clover.
      Remember that the plants that produce honey are ones that started growing
      last year. There is NO better honey that this.
      When I was young, I couldn't understand why my Uncle, that taught me a
      lot about bees, etc, was always studying the weather maps of different, or
      certain locations. Where the rain was good, last year was where he would
      have his bees this year. It took me a long time to figure this out.
      I gave $3.49 for a1.5 pound jar of honey, a few days ago. When I first
      started producing honey, in the mid-thirties, I would have gotten from 10 to
      15 cents for that amoung.
      I don't complain though: Selling honey for as low as 5 cants a pound
      made me so that I spend winters in Florida, rather than in Iowa, since 1978.
      Write me a friendly letter, sometime. We spent several vacations in
      Minnesota, back in the late fifties. Alexanderia, Lake Carlos, was the area.
      From a former honey producer, Russell Griggs.
      rlgriggs01@...