Re: [Beekeeping] Hive weights.

  • Mike Stoops
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2007
      sgtwal@... wrote:
        As I recall, a deep with bees weighs around 50 pounds. A full honey deep goes about 90. A 2 deep hive with brood and honey should run 125 or so at least.

      I think a full hive body of capped honey goes more towards 60 pounds of honey than 30 pounds.  My recollection is an Illinois super will produce about 35 pounds of extracted honey.

    • Terence Planke
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2007
        Thanks to all who responded to my question about hive weight.

        Some have responded that a rough estimate could be derived by
        using the shipping weights used in Suppliers' catalogs.

        Others mentioned find someone with newly assembled but unused
        equpt. and get more accurate info that way.

        As luck would have it... my neighbor is going to begin with
        bees this summer and I will be helping her assemble her equpt.
        which will allow me to get some very accurate benchmark numbers.

        Since one of my hives has expired during the winter, my next step
        is to disassemble and weigh each of the components. This will give
        me a very accurate number to use in the future.

        Will post the answers when I get them.

        Thanks again for all the input.

        -=- terry -=-

        God didn't call them the ten suggestions.