Re: Getting Bees And taking a class

  • raisnboergoats
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
      well since I metioned VA Tech I would say IM in virginia and in the
      southwest part of virginia thanks

      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike Stoops <mws1112004@...>
      wrote:

      > raisnboergoats <raisnboergoats@...>
      wrote: .... does anyone know of a
      bee keeping course local like at VA tech there isnt a local group or
      association around here I guess people arent that social haha.
      thanks
      > for the help JB
      > As mentioned in an earlier post, to give recommendations, we need
      to know your location.

      > Mike in LA
      >

      > ---------------------------------

    • tom langley
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
        I once mentioned Penn Sate but I'm in Tennessee.
        Go figure?

        wrote:

        > raisnboergoats <raisnboergoats@ ...>
        wrote: .... does anyone know of a
        bee keeping course local like at VA tech there isnt a local group or
        association around here I guess people arent that social haha.
        thanks
        > for the help JB
        > As mentioned in an earlier post, to give recommendations, we need
        to know your location.

        > Mike in LA
        >

        > ------------ --------- --------- ---

        Looking for earth-friendly autos?

      • Mike Stoops
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007

          raisnboergoats <raisnboergoats@ yahoo.com> wrote:
          well since I metioned VA Tech I would say IM in virginia and in the
          southwest part of virginia thanks

          Since I'm not sure to whom I'm responding in this particular post I will answer to both.  At the bottom of this post are links to the extension services of both states.  I would suggest that you use those services to either find a local bee club or to find the closest extension service.  From the local extension service you can generally find your closest bee club.  It's from those folks that you will find support and possibly a mentor and a source of some bees for this coming spring.  Below that is a link to BEE-L's FAQ page.  Under "General Information about BEE-L" you will find links to pages that will help you learn how to access the frequently asked questions pages.  Good luck with your endeavors this year, and it is highly recommended by most beekeepers to start with a minimum of two hives.  That way you can use the resources to treat the problems of the other if any problems occur.

          http://www.utextension.utk.edu/

          http://www.ext.vt.edu/

          http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm

          Mike in LA (Lower Alabama)

        • Dan&jan
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 3, 2007

            Also If you are in NE TN we are having a one day beginners short course in Boone, NC on March 10

            Dan Veilleux
            in the mountains of NC
            zone 6a
          • raisnboergoats
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 4, 2007
              where at in boone and what time and how can I register I would like to
              attend that class looks like im going to have to go to millers to get
              my bees anyway so I could make a day of it

              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Dan&jan" <montveil@...> wrote:

              > Try http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/learning.htm
              >
              > Also If you are in NE TN we are having a one day beginners short
              course in Boone, NC on March 10

              > Dan Veilleux
              > in the mountains of NC
              > zone 6a

            • Dan&jan
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 4, 2007
                March 10 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 pm Snow date the 17 th
                At the agricultural conference center 252 Poplar grove road- it is the lower
                level of the Ext office @941 King St

                Register @ extension office 828-264-3061 or more info @ 828-963-7196

                Fees are $15 for individual $20 for family (only one set of literature) A
                light lunch is included.

                If you have not ordered your bees yet, I suggest you do it soon. They
                probably will not be ready until early April

                Dan Veilleux
                225 Indigo Road
                Vilas, NC 28692
                828-297-6900
              • raisnboergoats
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Thanks for the info I'll get signed up tommrow will I need to bring
                  any equipment along with me ? thanks Jb--- In
                  beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Dan&jan" <montveil@...> wrote:

                  > March 10 from 8:30 AM to 4:00 pm Snow date the 17 th
                  > At the agricultural conference center 252 Poplar grove road- it is
                  the lower
                  > level of the Ext office @941 King St
                  >
                  > Register @ extension office 828-264-3061 or more info @ 828-963-
                  7196

                  > Fees are $15 for individual $20 for family (only one set of
                  literature) A
                  > light lunch is included.
                  >
                  > If you have not ordered your bees yet, I suggest you do it soon.
                  They
                  > probably will not be ready until early April
                  >
                  > Dan Veilleux
                  > 225 Indigo Road
                  > Vilas, NC 28692
                  > 828-297-6900

                • Dan&jan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 5, 2007
                    nothing needed except note taking supplies

                    Dan Veilleux
                    225 Indigo Road
                    Vilas, NC 28692
                    828-297-6900
                  • popscott111556
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 13, 2007
                      I also live in SW Virginy (Hiltons)............The Washington County
                      Bee Association in Gray, Tenn is having a free intro class on Thurs.
                      March 15 at 7-9:30 p.m......Then they will have a second session with
                      just several "mentees" and a experienced "mentor", at the "mentors"
                      beeyard to get a hands-on experience with live bees.
                      Also Ken/Kathy Saylor at the K&K Beefarm (in Gray) (423-753-4420)gets a
                      hundred or so packaged bees shipped in around April 1st, and you can
                      get your reservations in by March 15th for some there. All these folks
                      are great and very helpful. And Gray (Tri-cities-----Johnson City,
                      Kingsport, Bristol) should not be all that far of a jog for you to get
                      to.

                      Here is a link to the Photo section here, that shows their flyer for
                      the class.....

                      Scott
                    • j b
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 13, 2007
                        Thanks alot on the info I will defenitly be there I was going to attend a class down in boone Nc but this is much closer. I'm going to give k&k a call about ordering my bees through them since there closer too.
                         Jb
                        abingdon VA

                        popscott111556 <slucas@...> wrote:
                        I also live in SW Virginy (Hiltons)... ......... The Washington County
                        Bee Association in Gray, Tenn is having a free intro class on Thurs.
                        March 15 at 7-9:30 p.m......Then they will have a second session with
                        just several "mentees" and a experienced "mentor", at the "mentors"
                        beeyard to get a hands-on experience with live bees.
                        Also Ken/Kathy Saylor at the K&K Beefarm (in Gray) (423-753-4420) gets a
                        hundred or so packaged bees shipped in around April 1st, and you can
                        get your reservations in by March 15th for some there. All these folks
                        are great and very helpful. And Gray (Tri-cities- ----Johnson City,
                        Kingsport, Bristol) should not be all that far of a jog for you to get
                        to.

                        Here is a link to the Photo section here, that shows their flyer for
                        the class.....

                        http://pets. ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/beekeeping /photos/view/ a387?b=1

                        Thanks,
                        Scott

                        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

                      • Deeper
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 13, 2007
                          I am struggling to find classes in Central VA. Most of the info I have found dates back a few years. The courses I have found are week day evening classes over a 6 week period 100 miles away. I am also looking for an all day weekend type course that I will happily drive a few hundred miles for..

                          Anyone know of any in or around Central VA (Richmond)?

                          Thanks
                          Duncan.

[...]

                            The fish are biting.

                          • j b

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 13, 2007
                                Thanks..  I will keep looking, but I can't find any weekend courses.
                                There are a few evening classes but too far for a weekday..

                                Thanks,
                                Duncan.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 14, 2007
                                  The Watauga Beekeepers assn is holding a beginning beekeepers class on Saturday March 10 from 8:30 to 4:00. It will be held at the Agric Ext office conference room 252 Poplar grove road (behind the Ext office at 971 W king st Boone NC call 828-e64-3061 to register or 828-963-7196 for info. Cost is $15 per person or $20 per family with one set of literature. Snow date is the 17 th

                                  Dan Veilleux
                                  in the mountains of NC
                                  zone 6a