Sad end to a swarm

  • Richard Cobb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
      http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176

      And they are so ignorant they are proud of themselves.
    • M Nist
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
        I'm sorry I looked at those pictures :( :(

        That Britanny SPears "cell phone" ad pretty much sums up the mentality
        of those people. Horrible.

        --Madeleine

        > http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176

        > And they are so ignorant they are proud of themselves.

      • Dan&jan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
          The idiot was really lucky they were not Africanized.

          Dan Veilleux
          in the mountains of NC
          zone 6a
        • tom langley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
            Unfortunately not many people love things that sting.
            Except us beekeepers.Of course!

            Richard Cobb <rec@...> wrote:
            http://forums. somethingawful. com/showthread. php?threadid= 2243176

            And they are so ignorant they are proud of themselves.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
              Hello all. Name is Steve and I started with one nuc late April 2006
              and bought a few more later. Had 8 going into winter but lost one
              small colony from a cutout I did in the fall. Hoping the rest will
              make it as we plan to increase as much as possible.

              We have ten russian nucs ordered and will bring our woodenware over
              in a couple of weeks to build them in.

              Our place is near Zachary Louisiana USA which is 30.66 degs latitude.

              Looking at the proud idiots kill that swarm is sickening. Truly a sad
              end.

              When I got started I had some cards printed up and started handing
              them out. I went to the two farm stores near me and spoke to each
              person about me and bees. Almost everyone said that people come in
              all the time looking for chemicals to kill "bees". They agreed to
              give my bee removal cards out.

              There is a pretty good hardware store nearby and they have 1/8"
              screen and other good beekeeping stuff. I worked them hard to give
              out my cards and encourage patrons to let a local beekeeper(me?) at
              least look at their situation before they kill. I have had at least
              10 calls from these contacts since may 2006!

              I also gave my contact information to the local university ag
              department. They keep a list on the website for the public to contact
              beekeepers. Several people called me from this also.

              There are two bee trees out there now that I have an agreement with
              the property owners to let them alone. They wanted me to kill them
              initially but I was able to explain a little about bees and their
              nature. One was 25 feet up! The deal I made was leave them alone and
              if they became a problem I would come back and do whatever it took to
              remove them.

              One guy has them in his living room wall and agreed to wait until
              late winter for me to do the removal. The bees go and come from an
              old cable hole in the bricks.

              One bee tree was down low and the man had been stung several times
              cutting his grass. He wanted them gone and was going to throw Sevin
              dust at the hole. I vacuumed out what I could and united them with a
              small colony from a cutout I had back at home. I plugged the hole and
              checked back in a week and all was quite. I hated to do it but would
              rather do it myself the right way.

              I had several yellowjacket calls too. One bumble bee nest in the
              ground a guy down the road found bushhogging. Yellojackets hurt and
              come at you in numbers and stay awhile. Each one was an opportunity
              to spread good will towards honey bees.

              I said all that to say this. I let all know I am a beekeeper and I
              will at least consult with anyone about their bee or wasp problems.

              If someone with some sense is around early enough, maybe they will
              call a beekeeper before the idiots take over.