Re: [beekeeping] Ongoing Robbing & Getting Discouraged

  • Anne Brennan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2006
      > >>Is there a way to position the fondant and inner cover better to
      >prevent robbing without negatively affecting hive ventilation?<<
      >
      >I tape the top inner cover with duct tape and use 20 penny nails between the
      >inner and outer cover. This spacing actually allows more ventilation than
      >the standard notch and is too small for bees to enter.
      >
      >Dan Veilleux
      >in the mountains of NC
      >zone 6a

      Thanks, Dan, for this suggestion. Anything I can do to let air pass
      through but not bees sounds like a big improvement.

      Anne
      --
      Anne Brennan
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2006
        >>Is there a way to position the fondant and inner cover better to
        prevent robbing without negatively affecting hive ventilation? <<

        I staple # 8 hardware cloth ( the same screen used on Screened Bottom Boards ) around the notch in the inner cover. This allows the bees to move up and down through the inner cover hole in the center, but blocks bees from entering from the outside. If you need a little more clearance for the fondant you can flip the inner cover over and this gives you more clearance above the frames. Then screen the center hole also and prop the lip up with 1/4 or 1/8" wedges for ventilation.