Apiguard

  • Jeff Lunglhofer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2006
      All,

      Does anyone have experience using Apiguard?  I went ahead and put trays in both of my desert hives, and had an insane reaction by one of them.  I have one hive (package started last spring) that's been hot from the minute I got them.  After placing that Apiguard tray though, the hive EXPLODED.  Similar reaction to the probable-african hive I dealt with a few month back.  Clouds of bees, very persistent attack behavior.

      The stuff works by basically fumigating the hive and I'm thinking maybe they didn't like the smell.  I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt anyways. . .one more reaction like that and that hive is history.

      -Jeff

    • wuzadoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2006
        I am new to beekeeping this past Spring. I tried Apiguard this fall,
        and I was not sure if it was "me" or if the bees were more active
        with the Apiguard. They weren't really bad, just more wary seeming,
        a bit edgier. I wasn't sure if they sensed the end of warm weather
        and that is what caused the change. Also, at the same time, I did
        Terramycin, so that is a bit of an added unknown.
        I would definately use Apiguard again. It didn't make a neg
        impression on me.
        Africanized are not an issue here in New England (at least not yet?).

        John
        Burlington, CT USA