Re: [beekeeping] rabbeted hives

  • Tim Arheit
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
      At 07:40 PM 10/4/2006, you wrote:

      >Has anyone used rabbed joint hives and if so do they last as long as
      >the fingerlock corner hives? Ina Rhodes

      I use rabbet joints with glue and 1-1/2" long 1/4" crown staples on all the hive bodies and nucs I build. I've had no problems with them. Oldest ones are only 6 years old so I can't really compare them to the oldest finger joint boxes I have. However, I have had finger joint boxes start rotting in the fingers in a very short period of time (about 3 years) likely due to the large amount of exposed end grain and horizontal joint area, but have yet to see the problem with rabbet joints.

      -Tim
    • Lew Best
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
        Interesting Tim

        Never thought about that happening!

        Thanks!

        Lew

        <<snip>> However, I have had finger joint boxes start rotting in the
        fingers in a very short period of time (about 3 years) likely due to the
        large amount of exposed end grain and horizontal joint area, but have
        yet to see the problem with rabbet joints.

        -Tim

        10/3/2006
      • Washington Aris Torrealba
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2006
          Please, send some pictures of finger joint boxes and rabbeted joint boxes.
          Thanks in advance,
          Washington

          Lew Best <bee_keeper@...> escribió:
          Interesting Tim

          Never thought about that happening!

          Thanks!

          Lew

          < > However, I have had finger joint boxes start rotting in the
          fingers in a very short period of time (about 3 years) likely due to the
          large amount of exposed end grain and horizontal joint area, but have
          yet to see the problem with rabbet joints.

          -Tim

          10/3/2006

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings: