weight of honey

  • tlcrosley
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
      Can someone tell me approximately how much a gallon of honey weighs?  Also, how soon should I wrap my hive for winter?  I live in north-western PA.
      Leah
    • Garry Libby
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2002
        Hi Leah,
           A gallon of honey weighs 12 lbs.
        Usually hives are wrapped in late November, just before the onset of freezing weather.
        Good luck,
        Garry Libby

        Garry Libby
        Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA

      • dickbeekeeper
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2002
          --- In beekeeping@y..., "tlcrosley" <crosley@p...> wrote:
          > Can someone tell me approximately how much a gallon of honey
          weighs?

          "Beekeepers have been loosely saying that ordinary honey runs about
          12 pounds to the gallon. This would make a moisture content of only
          14.02 percent. Honeys of that low a percentage are rather rare. The
          average of western honeys produced in dry mountain areas will run
          from 17.0 to 15.4 percent, or respectively 11 pounds, 13 ½ ounces and
          11 pounds 15 ounces weight to the gallon. A 17.4 percent and below
          honey is usually regarded as one which is reasonably safe from
          fermentation...."

          From "ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture" 36th ed.

          >Also, how soon should I wrap my hive for winter? I live in north-
          western PA.

          Not all beekeepers in northern areas go to the bother of wrapping
          hives. If you have more than one hive, you might wrap some and not
          wrap some and see if it makes any difference. I suspect you'll find
          it won't.

          Regards,
          Dick