chiral honey

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 1, 2006
      Actually Matthew.... wouldn't all the sugars in honey be of the D-Conformation and not the L at all? Beeing that the honey is made by the bees for the bees from living stuff on earth, then everything should be of the "right chiral" configuration and thus NOT racemic at all..

      Hence, therefore, it is obvious that the light will only appear to have rotated in only one direction thus leading to the popularity of a polarimeter as a popular measure of honey's sugar content.

      Rich
      From: Matthew <mpteleski@...>
      Date: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:49 pm
      Subject: Re: what is 'Sugar Free' Honey?
      sort-of right. Honey is a very complex mixture of
      saccharides, both which are "left" and "right" chiral.
      If you have more than one, then polarized light will
      be rotated one way. If more of the other, light will
      be rotated the other way. If the mixture is equal
      (called a racemic mixture in the chemistry world) then
      the light will NOT be rotated. You can use the
      degree of rotation to determine the ratio of "left"
      and "right" versions of teh species present. Sachrides
      in themselves do not polarize light, but will rotate
      polarized light.

      -matthew
      using my degree in chemistry :-)
    • Lee Ratcliff
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 1, 2006
        At least here, I would rather have the colder winters.  The last 2 winters have been so mild, we had major losses due to starvation.  The warmer it is, the more stores they use.  I actully had them trying to forage in January, with nothing to gather.

        Sparky