late swarm

  • ksam1950
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hello,
      I haven't posted before and just lurk occasionally.
      I have a question about a late swarm.
      We caught the swarm and put it in a box, readied a new hive and shook
      the bees in,but they left again higher in the tree this time.
      It was about 95 degrees and we were roasting!! Finally gave up when it
      was getting dark. This AM they were still in the tree and hopefully
      will be there when I get home from work.
      Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!!
    • ace
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
        Put a frame of open brood in it if you catch it again and they will stay.  Then feed them.

        ace

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
          Put a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive body. . .and a frame of brood from another hive. . .no way they should leave then!!

          -Jeff

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
            --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "ksam1950" <kssam@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I haven't posted before and just lurk occasionally.
            > I have a question about a late swarm.
            > We caught the swarm and put it in a box, readied a new hive and shook
            > the bees in,but they left again higher in the tree this time.
            > It was about 95 degrees and we were roasting!! Finally gave up when
            it
            > was getting dark. This AM they were still in the tree and hopefully
            > will be there when I get home from work.
            > Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!!

            Are you sure you got the queen ? I have never actually had a swarm but
            fmy understanding is if the queen is missed the rest go back to where
            she is.
          • ksam1950
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lunglhofer" <Jeff@...>
              wrote:

              > Put a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive body. . .and a
              frame of brood
              > from another hive. . .no way they should leave then!!
              >
              > -Jeff
              >
              > _____

              with brood over the branch hoping that they will go in and we can
              then lower the basket and get 'em! I like the excluder idea Thanks.