Bees clustering on outside of hive

  • kc8loc
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2002
      Hello to all,
      Yesterday 10/3/02 it was a cold clammy rainy day here in Michigan,
      temp 60 degrees, maybe lower.
      When I got home and checked my bee hive, there was a large 'ball'
      or 'cluster' of bees on the front of the hive trying to keep warm. It
      was about 5" in diameter and about an inch thick. Several bees thick
      and in my opinion they were clustering to keep warm. The bees were
      very close to the entrance and could have walked right in if they
      wanted to. My question is why??
      Is the hive full? I do not know. I did remove all honey supers a few
      weeks ago. Or are these bees silly??
      Thanks,
      Tom in Michigan