crowded hive

  • Ann Fisher
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hello all,
      Yesterday I put the bee escapes in the hives, so that I can take the honey supers off tomorrow. The front of the one hive is covered with bees in the morning and evening. It seems as if there isn't enough room for them all to go in now with the extra two boxes gone. This is a very strong hive. Is there anything I should be doing? Thanks!

      Ann in PA
      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
    • Mark Coldiron
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
        Just extract your supers and put them back on when finished.

        West Texas Mark
      • Ann Fisher
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2002
          Usually, here in Pennsylvania, I take all the honey supers off in the fall, treat the hives for varroa and get them ready for winter. I guess in Texas your bees can be productive all year...that would be nice. :)
          Hmmm...I don't know if I should put another super back on at this point, but it would give them more room. Thanks for your reply.

          Ann in PA

          > Just extract your supers and put them back on when finished.
          >
          > West Texas Mark

          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
        • grizzly bearnolds
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2002
            >From: "Ann Fisher" <homespunhoney@...>
            >Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002
            >Subject: Re: [beekeeping] crowded hive

            >I don't know if I should put another super back on at this point, but it
            >would give them more room.

            Last year I put an empty shallow super underneath the open mesh floor as a
            buffer box (during the winter). This year, as I observed that the bees kind
            of leave the bottom box alone anyhow, they just hang out in there but it
            was empty of brood and storage the last few times I checked, so I took that
            as a sign, and I added to each hive a shallow super with drawn but empty
            comb, and put that above the open mesh floor and below the box they were
            living in. So if there are lots of bees, and they had been robbed off their
            honey supers, this would give them a place to hang out and they still would
            remain in the hive and don't have to be outside, which is not a good thing
            hereabouts at this time of year.

            Ma. .. North Pacific Coast, British Columbia, CANADA
          • Ann Fisher
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2002

              Hi Ma,

              Thanks for you reply. Yes, I did decide to put a shallow super back on the hive today. I was trying to decide whether to put it above or below the brood boxes. I decided to put it above the brood boxes since I ended up putting on a super that had some  honey in it to give them some extra food for the winter. If it had been empty, I would have put it below. Another beekeeper had also suggested that to me.

              I checked the hive tonight after dark and there are still some bees on the outside, but not nearly as many. Well, maybe with the extra honey I gave them I won't have to feed them next spring. :)

              Thanks,                                                                                 Ann                                                                            Pennsylvania

              >I don't know if I should put another super back on at this point, but it
              >would give them more room.

              Last year I put an empty shallow super underneath the open mesh floor as a
              buffer box (during the winter). This year, as I observed that the bees kind
              of leave the bottom box alone anyhow, they just hang out in there but it
              was empty of brood and storage the last few times I checked, so I took that
              as a sign, and I added to each hive a shallow super with drawn but empty
              comb, and put that above the open mesh floor and below the box they were
              living in. So if there are lots of bees, and they had been robbed off their
              honey supers, this would give them a place to hang out and they still would
              remain in the hive and don't have to be outside, which is not a good thing
              hereabouts at this time of year.

              Ma.  .. North Pacific Coast,  British Columbia,  CANADA

            • tlcrosley
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 2002
                I have the same problem with my hive, can they cluster successfully for
                over-wintering with a super on? I also live in PA.
                Leah

                > Yesterday I put the bee escapes in the hives, so that I can take the
                honey supers off tomorrow. The front of the one hive is covered with bees in
                the morning and evening. It seems as if there isn't enough room for them
                all to go in now with the extra two boxes gone. This is a very strong hive.
                Is there anything I should be doing? Thanks!

                > Ann in PA
                > --

              • Lee Ratcliff
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 2002
                  I would say yes. My Fience's dad winters his bees in one deep brood box and 1 12 frame super, and they do well. He is in SW VA in the coalfields.

                  Sparky

                  ---------- "tlcrosley" <crosley@...> writes:

                  To: <beekeeping@yahoogroups.com>
                  From: "tlcrosley" <crosley@...>
                  Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:59:11 -0400

                  I have the same problem with my hive, can they cluster successfully for
                  over-wintering with a super on? I also live in PA.
                  Leah

                  > Yesterday I put the bee escapes in the hives, so that I can take the
                  honey supers off tomorrow. The front of the one hive is covered with bees in
                  the morning and evening. It seems as if there isn't enough room for them
                  all to go in now with the extra two boxes gone. This is a very strong hive.
                  Is there anything I should be doing? Thanks!

                  > Ann in PA
                  > --

                  *** Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep voting ***
                  ** on what is for dinner. Liberty is the well **
                  * armed sheep disputing the outcome of the vote *

                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                • grizzly bearnolds
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2002
                    >From: Lee Ratcliff <kc4art@...>
                    >Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002
                    >Subject: Re:Re: [beekeeping] crowded hive
                    >
                    >My Fience's dad winters his bees in one deep brood box and 1 12 frame
                    >super, and they do well. He is in SW VA in the coalfields.

                    For those not of the States, where is SW VA? Also, how cold for how long
                    does it get there?

                    I am overwintering a few hives that were only in one full brood box and
                    part of a shallow by early September. Normally that's a no-no. I was also
                    experimenting last season with a partial downsizing of the bees, so the
                    smaller amount of bees I had this time may equal the same amount of normal
                    sized bees. That is 1.5 boxes of smaller bees equal to 2 boxes of larger
                    bees. I hope so at least.

                    Ma. .. North Pacific Coast, British Columbia, CANADA
                  • Lee A Ratcliff
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2002
                      sorry, Its Southwest Virginia. Winter temps are probuly mid 30s F
                      with -10 lows not unheard of.

                      Sparky

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 4, 2002
                        Leah,
                        I usually use just two medium supers for brood chambers through the winter. But, I've added one shallow super to each hive to give them more room. I think it will work out o.k. - never did it before.

                        Ann in PA

                        > I have the same problem with my hive, can they cluster successfully for
                        > over-wintering with a super on? I also live in PA.
                        > Leah

                        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                        "Free price comparison tool gives you the best prices and cash back!"
                        http://www.bestbuyfinder.com/download.htm
                      • Karen Oland
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2002
                          That's about zone 7, possibly 6 over there. Average lows of 10 in winter,
                          fist/last frost about same as here (east Tennessee) of around April 15 to
                          Oct 15, but with periods throughout the winter where it is very mild (it is
                          as likely to be 70 on christmas as it is to snow and lately it is more
                          common that cold or rain).

                          VA is below Washington DC, on more or less the East Coast of the US