Re: Honey Benefits Wound Healing

  • J. Walker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
      I researched burn therapies in RN school this year.
      One study compared honey to silvadeen cream (sp?), a
      widely used topical application. All wounds
      eventually healed, but those treated with honey healed
      more quickly and with less scarring (this study was
      from an MD in India.)

      Just anecdotally, I treated my son's burn with honey
      yesterday. He'd ironed over 2 fingers while pressing
      some cloth. He's seven. We started with ice, then
      onto lavender salve. He was in a lot of pain and
      crying for an hour and a half before we tried honey on
      the burn and then tied a strip of cloth on with some
      pressure. He had almost instant relief. He said the
      pain changed. From constant, to coming in waves, to
      none at all. We applied twice then, and haven't
      treated it again because it hasn't continued to bother
      him.

      I thought it was an impressive result.

      Be well

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Shanta McBain
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2006
        Quoting "J. Walker" <walkeroftheearth@...>:

        > I researched burn therapies in RN school this year.
        > One study compared honey to silvadeen cream (sp?), a
        > widely used topical application. All wounds
        > eventually healed, but those treated with honey healed
        > more quickly and with less scarring (this study was
        > from an MD in India.)
        >
        > Just anecdotally, I treated my son's burn with honey
        > yesterday. He'd ironed over 2 fingers while pressing
        > some cloth. He's seven. We started with ice, then
        > onto lavender salve. He was in a lot of pain and
        > crying for an hour and a half before we tried honey on
        > the burn and then tied a strip of cloth on with some
        > pressure. He had almost instant relief. He said the
        > pain changed. From constant, to coming in waves, to
        > none at all. We applied twice then, and haven't
        > treated it again because it hasn't continued to bother
        > him.
        >
        > I thought it was an impressive result.

        Yet typical of the power of honey. I wrote an article about this more
        than 30 years ago. I will try to find a copy of it and post it on my
        site.

        Thanks

        Shanta McBain
        http://ecf.beemaster.ca
      • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
          In a message dated 7/5/2006 7:06:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time, walkeroftheearth@... writes:

[...]

          Sammy Replies:  Humm, next we will have to be licensed as ppharmacists?  We already have to list it as food as if no one knew it was good to eat and may cause fattiness.

          Sammy
          A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
          The
          2007 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
          Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
          add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
          Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!
        • Mike Gillmore
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
            I have recently had first hand experience with the healing properties of raw
            honey. I've read many articles and reports about how well it works on
            wounds, so when I received a severe muffler burn on my arm while working on
            my tractor ( careless move ) I decided to give it a try and see what
            happens. I kept it covered with gauze and reapplied the honey daily for
            about a week.
            I must admit that this burn has healed more quickly than any other burn I
            have ever had. Also this was the only time that there was absolutley no
            infection - in the past my burns have always showed swelling & redness and
            signs of infection in the healing process. Not this time.
            Seeing is believing!

            > I researched burn therapies in RN school this year.
            > One study compared honey to silvadeen cream (sp?), a
            > widely used topical application. All wounds
            > eventually healed, but those treated with honey healed
            > more quickly and with less scarring (this study was
            > from an MD in India.)
            >
            > Just anecdotally, I treated my son's burn with honey
            > yesterday. He'd ironed over 2 fingers while pressing
            > some cloth. He's seven. We started with ice, then
            > onto lavender salve. He was in a lot of pain and
            > crying for an hour and a half before we tried honey on
            > the burn and then tied a strip of cloth on with some
            > pressure. He had almost instant relief. He said the
            > pain changed. From constant, to coming in waves, to
            > none at all. We applied twice then, and haven't
            > treated it again because it hasn't continued to bother
            > him.
            >
            > I thought it was an impressive result.
            >
            > Be well

          • Stefani Leto
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2006
              My midwife used honey to help with postpartum tears if they were too small to suture.
              Thank goodness I only have one data point!
              Stefani