Effective Extraction?

  • Jeff Lunglhofer
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 2, 2006
      All,

      Does anyone have any recommendations on inexpensive but effective ways to extract and filter honey for bottling?  I'm up to six hives at this point and four are possibly strong enough to produce some honey this year, although it may not be a huge quantity.  I've seen extractors that range from $105 (plastic cheapie from Dadant) to the thousdands of dollars?

      I'd like to spend as little as possible, but NOT waste money on junk.  I'd rather spend $500 today than $150 today and $500 tomorrow.

      Any suggestions?

      -Jeff
    • Jon McFadden
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hi John,
        I had to do a search to find the article on the Mother Earth website. The link didn't work for me. That is a novel approach using the right angle foot from an outboard motor.

        Another solution to the reduction is to purchase the gears from the folks that manufacture extractors. I replaced the crank handle and a couple of bearings on my extractor sevreal years ago cheap. There are two gear manufactures that sell to the public; one is Boston Gear and the other is Chicago Gear??. I don't know if they sell plastic gears or not. The gears in my old extractor are not machined. They are cast steel but I think the new plastic ones would be preferred.
        Regards,
        Jon

        John McMurray <wa4fla@...> wrote:
        Here is a good home made extractor I just finished and used cheap to
        make and effective
        http://www.motherea rthnews.com/ library/1981_ March_April/ A__Honey_ _of_
        an_Extractor
        Good Luck