Re: [beekeeping] Antique Hive

  • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 4, 2006
      In a message dated 6/4/2006 8:45:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time, dplisco@... writes:
      Why not just do it the simple way (KISS). Find the queen and shake her and her nurse bees into a new hive with fresh foundation...The rest will follow...She's not going anywhere. Let them rob the old comb out and you can melt what's left of the wax. After a couple of days, the bees will have drawn out fresh comb, and the queen will start laying. If they need a drink of sugar syrup for a couple of days, big deal...It's a good time to medicate...Nosema is an insidious and opportunistic killer that attacks weakened hives and masks itself as something else.

      NOTE: You are not going to get any appreciatable honey out of that hive this year, anyhow...Medicate and ignor the peer pressure from the non-med nature nurture nut crowd...It's your bees and those organic nature nuts aren't going to empty their pockets and cough up the cash to replace your bees if they get lost to an easily preventable disease..Sympathy doesn't pay the bills.

      Don't submit to peer pressure.  You don't have to count how many angels can stand on a head of a pin and you don't have to anal retentively and time consuminly wire in old, black comb into a frame, just to toss it later into the wax melter... (No matter what others may say, wiring in old comb is anal retentive and a terribly wasteful of time and sweat that can go into something more useful for the bees or anything else). For the record: You absolutely do not need to salvage out old comb and brood that might be loaded with mites...The queen can replace that brood rapidly if well fed.

      Let nature take her course...And not try to micromanage it...Common sense.

      Believe it or not, if they have survived this long, they will do just fine on new foundation, minus the brood comb. It is too late for a big brood buildup anyhow. They'll be in better shape for the late summer dry spell because of it.

      Don in Tulsa.

      Sammy Replies:  Only way to put it is this is a bad ideal from start to finish.

      Sammy
      A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
      The
      2007 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
      Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
      add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
      Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!
    • Paul Rowland
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 7, 2006
        I vote for Donald's idea(common sense). I've tied in comb, I don't see a great advantage. Therefore less stress on the bees and the beekeeper. You could feed the bees the honey from the comb. I've done that with more success. They will use the ingested honey to draw out the foundation, if you don't have already drawn comb. Get the new hive, locate the queen, get her in the new hive and the others will follow. However, none of us are there. Make the call, and you will learn.

        LOL....