swarms

  • dstrenio
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15 11:59 AM
      After I hived my first swarm, it occured to me that maybe in the
      future, I don't want another hive. I now have four. But what if I
      have the opportunity again in the future to catch a swarm? Could I
      hive a swarm, kill the queen, and boost up my hives with the bees?
      And if so, how?
    • Alex King
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15 12:22 PM
        I tried this in the past. If you need more frames to be drawn hive the swarm in a box with new frames above a screen board on the top of a existing colony. Give the swarm a top enterance. If you have plenty of drawn frames hive the swarm in drawn frames above a screen with a top entrance. After they get going in a few weeks and there frames are drawn you can kill the queen and place the box above the brood box of the bottom hive. There will be no fighting as they all have the same smell. Hiving swarms on drawn comb can yeild a honey surplus very quickly.

        Alex King (K142)
        Melbourne, Oz

      • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15 12:51 PM
          In a message dated 5/15/2006 2:00:12 P.M. Central Daylight Time, dstrenio@... writes:
          After I hived my first swarm, it occured to me that maybe in the
          future, I don't want another hive.  I now have four.  But what if I
          have the opportunity again in the future to catch a swarm?  Could I
          hive a swarm, kill the queen, and boost up my hives with the bees?
          And if so, how?

          Sammy Replies:  The easiest way to unite bees of different sources is to soak both with a mixture of Water with vanilla extract in it, should smell strong with the vanilla.

          Sammy
          A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
          The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
          Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
          add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
          Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!
        • Mike Stoops
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15 4:39 PM
            dstrenio <dstrenio@...> wrote:
            After I hived my first swarm, it occured to me that maybe in the
            future, I don't want another hive.  I now have four.  But what if I
            have the opportunity again in the future to catch a swarm?  Could I
            hive a swarm, kill the queen, and boost up my hives with the bees?
            And if so, how?

            You can kill the queen, put the rest of the swarm in a super or brood chamber on top of one of your current hives with a sheet of newspaper between the current hive and the addition.  Cut a couple of slices in the newspaper and "Walla", you have a larger population in you hive.

            Another thing you could do is put a queen excluder over your current hive, then add a brood chamber with either foundation or with drawn comb.  Put your swarm, including the queen, in that.  Provide an upper entrance so the drones can get out.  Now you have what is called a two queen system.  If done early enough, you will have a humongous hive that will make a load of honey for you.  Later you can kill one or the other of the queens, or make a split going into fall.

          • Jay
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2011
              hey all,

              has anyone else had an overabundance of swarms this year?

              i started the year with two hives and had 4 brood boxes prepared in case i would have swarms, only had one last year.

              anyway, so far i have had 9 swarms only 4 came from my boxes, the rest have came to my house from the woods surrounding. i am certain of this because i saw one rise from the hill across the way and come and light on my boat.

              i have captured 7 of the swarms one didnt like the box i put it in and left within the hour and another is still camped out on the side of my chicken house, i have put them in a box 4 times and they will not stay in (think they may be absent a queen?)

              i live in london kentucky, and would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this kind of activity