Sugar

  • Nizam Raqib
    Message 1 of 21 , May 13, 2006
      Hi ,
      Does anybody know of a cheaper source for sugar than just buying the 25 lb
      bags in the supermarket? Also is there another method of feeding bees than
      melting sugar in hot water? I am currently feeding a mixture of 1:1 is that
      sufficient?

      Thanks

      Nizam
    • Mike Stoops
      Message 2 of 21 , May 13, 2006
        Nizam Raqib <nraqib@...> wrote:
        Hi ,
          Does anybody know of a cheaper source for sugar than just buying the 25 lb bags in the supermarket? Also is there another method of feeding  bees than melting sugar in hot water? I am currently feeding a mixture of 1:1 is that sufficient?

        Thanks       Nizam
        Nizam,
             Proportions are right, depending on what you want to do.  1:1 is good for feeding when preparing for winter and you want the bees to top off their winter stores.  2:1 (2 parts water: 1 part sugar) is good for inducing the colony to initiate or continue brood building.  For answers to a lot of your questions, click on the web site link listed below :In fact, I think this is an active link to the web site and you won't even have to go to the web site I have listed below.  The FAQ portion has be compiled over a period of quite a few years and there aren't many questions that have not been proposed, and answered.  Hope this helps.

        http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm

      • Lew Best
        Message 3 of 21 , May 13, 2006
          I don’t know of any real easy way to mix other than hot water & an electric
          mixer. Compare prices; here sugar is just a tiny bit cheaper per pound in
          10 pound bags & they’re much easier (imho) to handle without spilling than a
          25 pounder!

          Lew

          Date: 5/11/2006

        • Mike Stoops
          Message 4 of 21 , May 13, 2006
            Lew Best <bee_keeper@...> wrote:
            I don�t know of any real easy way to mix other than hot water & an electric mixer.
              Boil your water, turn off your heat source, then add your sugar.  If you boil your sugar syrup, you run the risk of caramalizing it and that will really tear up a bee's digestive system.  I have never had any problems boiling a gallon of water, turning off the heat, then adding five pounds of sugar.  Using just a big mixing spoon I've gotten it mixed and the syrup clear in under one minute.  NOTE: Let the syrup cool before adding to your bee's syrup source.  : )

          • tom langley
            Message 5 of 21 , May 13, 2006
              Mike is right. You don't have to boil the sugar syrup.
              All I do is pour hot tap water over the sugar and stir for  a minute
              or two with a wodden spoon. It mixes just fine and there is no need for a stove.

              Tommy

              Mike Stoops <mws1112004@...> wrote:
              Lew Best <bee_keeper@...> wrote:
              I don�t know of any real easy way to mix other than hot water & an electric mixer.
                Boil your water, turn off your heat source, then add your sugar.  If you boil your sugar syrup, you run the risk of caramalizing it and that will really tear up a bee's digestive system.  I have never had any problems boiling a gallon of water, turning off the heat, then adding five pounds of sugar.  Using just a big mixing spoon I've gotten it mixed and the syrup clear in under one minute.  NOTE: Let the syrup cool before adding to your bee's syrup source.  : )

            • Donald Plisco
              Message 6 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                I like to invert my sugar.

                Don
                I don�t know of any real easy way to mix other than hot water & an electric mixer.
                  Boil your water, turn off your heat source, then add your sugar.  If you boil your sugar syrup, you run the risk of caramalizing it and that will really tear up a bee's digestive system.  I have never had any problems boiling a gallon of water, turning off the heat, then adding five pounds of sugar.  Using just a big mixing spoon I've gotten it mixed and the syrup clear in under one minute.  NOTE: Let the syrup cool before adding to your bee's syrup source.  : )

              • Lee Ratcliff
                Message 7 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                  I boil the 5# of water, turn off the heat, and then put in 5# of sugar.  Just stir it in and it will all disolve pretty quick.  It does get interesting when you are making 2:1 syrup.

                  Sparky

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                    Donald Plisco <dplisco@...> wrote:
                    I like to invert my sugar.

                    Don

                    What do you do Don?  Turn the bag of sugar upside down before adding it to the hot water?

                  • Donald Plisco
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                      I have three old women in conical hats come in after dark and mumble-jumbo some weird archaic jargon over it...to make sure a few clueless guys and gals ask semi-benign dumb questions, so I can respond with semi-lucid sarcastic replies.

                      If you haven't caught on yet, look up the properties of inverted sugar on the net.

                      I'll be waiting, but I won't hold my breath.

                      Don

                      .

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                        Message
                        He pretty much just adds lemon juice and keeps it at a semi-hot temp for a few minutes. It breaks the sugar down some into invertase which is just another sugar but better approximates nectar IMO. However many people don't advocate its use saying it actually reduces the vigor of the fed bees.

                        I just use hot tap water and mix in as much as the water will hold before precipitation. Whatever that is is good enough for me....I am not trying to get effects from feeding, merely giving the bees some carbs while the newly installed pacakge turn over a cycle of brood or two and then can get to work.

                        --
                        Scot Mc Pherson
                        The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms

                                                     .   `  ,  ` '
                                                 .,';`,.  ``.  '.
                               _/^\_          :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
                              /_____\       .:.,"'`
                             /\_____/\   .,:`'"
                               \###/.,';`

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                          Message
                          You got it...The lemon juice helps.

                          There is controversy over it, but it does approximate nectar, which means it can't be all that bad.
                          The bees like it;   Especially if I have to add any nosema med, etc.

                          IMO, it probably is easier to digest than compound sugars; but bees will eat any type of sugar, if it's easy to get to, or they are shy on supplies. You ever watch bees in late summer go after an empty pop can at a picnic?
                          If you put out dry sucrose sugar, they will go for it. You can bet they spend a bit of energy getting it digested and put into the frames. My idea is to break it down so that their energy is better spent on other things than their digestive system.
                          What ever works for you.

                          Don in Tulsa

                        • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                            In a message dated 5/13/2006 6:45:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time, nraqib@... writes:
                            Hi ,
                              Does anybody know of a cheaper source for sugar than just buying the 25 lb
                            bags in the supermarket? Also is there another method of feeding  bees than
                            melting sugar in hot water? I am currently feeding a mixture of 1:1 is that
                            sufficient?

                                                            Thanks

                            Nizam
                            Sammy Replies:  the answer depends to some extent what you pay for sugar and how close you are to a High Fructose Corn Syrup supplier, Dadant, Kelly, and Mann Lake all sell it.  With Dadant you should look up their nearest dealer.  You can buy it from then for about 25 cents per pound.  It is to the consistency of one part water two parts sugar.  If you need a 1 to 1 ratio you can add water as you put in the feeder or if you use an inside feeder add the water to the container you carry the feed out to the bees in.  Do  Not add the water to the whole lot and let it set far a few weeks.  If you buy from Kelly you will need to figure in shipping.  We make a drive to Paris Texas to get ours and buy it by the 55 gallon drum About 600 pounds.  Then we cut it before using it so our savings are even higher.  Also the bees seen to like the High Fructose Corn Syrup better than table sugar.

                            Sammy
                            A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
                            The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
                            Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
                            add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
                            Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!
                          • lratcliff@isp.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 13, 2006
                              The 1:1 workes well for this time of year. If you are feeding in the
                              fall-winter, I use a 2:1 mixture. From what I understand, the 2:1 does
                              not stimulate brood production as much as the 1:1 does.

                              Sparky

                              > In a message dated 5/13/2006 6:45:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
                              > nraqib@... writes:
                              >
                              > Hi ,
                              > Does anybody know of a cheaper source for sugar than just buying the 25
                              > lb
                              > bags in the supermarket? Also is there another method of feeding bees
                              > than
                              > melting sugar in hot water? I am currently feeding a mixture of 1:1 is
                              > that
                              > sufficient?
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              >
                              > Nizam
                              >

                              > Sammy Replies: the answer depends to some extent what you pay for sugar
                              > and
                              > how close you are to a High Fructose Corn Syrup supplier, Dadant, Kelly,
                              > and
                              > Mann Lake all sell it. With Dadant you should look up their nearest
                              > dealer.
                              > You can buy it from then for about 25 cents per pound. It is to the
                              > consistency of one part water two parts sugar. If you need a 1 to 1
                              > ratio you can
                              > add water as you put in the feeder or if you use an inside feeder add the
                              > water to the container you carry the feed out to the bees in. Do Not
                              > add the
                              > water to the whole lot and let it set far a few weeks. If you buy from
                              > Kelly
                              > you will need to figure in shipping. We make a drive to Paris Texas to
                              > get
                              > ours and buy it by the 55 gallon drum About 600 pounds. Then we cut it
                              > before
                              > using it so our savings are even higher. Also the bees seen to like the
                              > High Fructose Corn Syrup better than table sugar.
                              >
                              > Sammy
                              > A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
                              > The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
                              > Our web site:_ http://brownsapiaries.com/_ (http://brownsapiaries.com/)
                              > add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at_
                              > http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html_
                              > (http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html)
                              > Subscribe to: _AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_
                              > (mailto:AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com) _ Host your Web
                              > site with BizLand!_
                              > (http://www.bizland.com/join/index.bml?AffID=556091&LinkName=brownsbizland)

                              There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of
                              evil men. - Edmund Burke

                              Join ISP.COM today - $8.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL
                              Try us out, http://www.isp.com/
                            • Clint D
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 14, 2006
                                That is the way I do mine also, I have no problems at all
                                Clint

                                Lew Best <bee_keeper@...> wrote:
                                I don�t know of any real easy way to mix other than hot water & an electric mixer.
                                  Boil your water, turn off your heat source, then add your sugar.  If you boil your sugar syrup, you run the risk of caramalizing it and that will really tear up a bee's digestive system.  I have never had any problems boiling a gallon of water, turning off the heat, then adding five pounds of sugar.  Using just a big mixing spoon I've gotten it mixed and the syrup clear in under one minute.  NOTE: Let the syrup cool before adding to your bee's syrup source.  : )

                                Beekeeping Beekeeping supplies Beekeeping equipment

                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              • Darcy Holleman
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 14, 2006
                                  That's how I have been doing it too Mike, and there is nothing easier. Hard boil on the water, turn off the heat, add a bag of sugar and stir. After it cools I add some Honey-B-Healthy and feed away!

                                  Lew Best <bee_keeper@...> wrote:
                                  I don�t know of any real easy way to mix other than hot water & an electric mixer.
                                    Boil your water, turn off your heat source, then add your sugar.  If you boil your sugar syrup, you run the risk of caramalizing it and that will really tear up a bee's digestive system.  I have never had any problems boiling a gallon of water, turning off the heat, then adding five pounds of sugar.  Using just a big mixing spoon I've gotten it mixed and the syrup clear in under one minute.  NOTE: Let the syrup cool before adding to your bee's syrup source.  : )

                                • ace
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 14, 2006
                                    There was a fella that posted on this list a few years back that said he mixed his sugar water a barrel at a time using cold water and air pressure from an air compressor.  I haven't tried that yet but intend to some day.  I mix mine a barrel at a time by heating 30 gallons of water to a very hot temp on a propane burner using an old stainless 4 frame extractor tank, then dump five 50 pound sacks of sugar in and stir it with a dowel.  Works for me.

                                    ace

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 14, 2006
                                      Donald:

                                      Thanks for the humor.

                                      Larry

                                      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Plisco" <dplisco@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > I have three old women in conical hats come in after dark and
                                      mumble-jumbo some weird archaic jargon over it...to make sure a few
                                      clueless guys and gals ask semi-benign dumb questions, so I can
                                      respond with semi-lucid sarcastic replies.

                                      > If you haven't caught on yet, look up the properties of inverted
                                      sugar on the net.

                                      > I'll be waiting, but I won't hold my breath.
                                      >
                                      > Don
                                      >

                                      > .

                                      PC and save big.

                                      equipment

                                      of Service.

                                      -----------

                                    • Jon McFadden
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 15, 2006
                                        Here is the latest on the bees in the Kenya Top Bar Hive (KTBH) that I made into an observation hive. Bees are doing great.
                                        http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6&PN=1
                                        The advantage of the KTBH is that there is no heavy lifting necessary for bee management and extracting leaves all kinds of options available.
                                        I made two viewports on mine so I could watch their progress without disturbing their routine. So far this has worked the way I hoped it would.

                                      • Suzanne Stone

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 14 2:57 AM
                                              I stopped by Costco last night and they had a pound of sugar for $0.39 when you buy the 50 pound bag and $0.40 when you purchase the 25 pound bag.
                                              Charles Walter