sales of honey question

  • Bell Teresa Y Civ OC-ALC/MASBC
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2002
      one of the beekeepers at the farmers market is turning the rest of us in to
      the ag department because we have not been certified to sell to public honey
      by the health department.
      is this normal for farmer market sales
      teresa in oklahoma
    • Mark Coldiron
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2002
        I suppose technically it's correct. Each state has it's own rules, but you
        probably do need to get a license from the health department. I have one.
        It's pretty easy to get and doesn't cost much. Sounds like this person has
        an ax to grind. It's certainly not the "norm", especially if you are small
        time and just trying to make a few buck on the side. Maybe they fear the
        competition. The ag department can't do anything. The health department is
        the enforcement agency for such things.

        West Texas Mark

        > one of the beekeepers at the farmers market is turning the rest of us in
        > the ag department because we have not been certified to sell to public
        honey
        > by the health department.
        > is this normal for farmer market sales
        > teresa in oklahoma
      • Shane Woodruff
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2002
          Teresa,

          Unless OK is different from NJ it sounds
          ridicious to me. Shane in NJ

          <TERESA.BELL@...> wrote:
          > one of the beekeepers at the farmers market is
          > turning the rest of us in to
          > the ag department because we have not been certified
          > to sell to public honey
          > by the health department.
          > is this normal for farmer market sales
          > teresa in oklahoma

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Bell Teresa Y Civ OC-ALC/MASBC
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 2002
            Like everyone is saying honey is the safest product on earth unless you mix
            water with it so if your jars are sterile and your extractor is then if your
            pour directly into the jars and seal then water is taken out of the factors.

            After spending all the time on having healthy bees do you think we would
            risk contaminating the honey. More regulations

            I would rather if possible go out and fight a feral hive to rob its honey
            then mess with modern burocrats.
            teresa oklahoma