Re: Cleaning used frames

  • Ask
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18, 2002
      Here in the Netherlands we put them in the freezer for half an hour
      (seriously). After that, you can scrape off anything. Try it and you
      will see it works. Fot sterilizing you have to heat or use alcohol
      and then let it dry.

      Greetings
      Erik
    • homesteed
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
        I learned from an old timer. I received some equipment and was told
        to boil 'em or burn 'em. We boiled them in lye water.

        Jeff
        in IN

        --- In beekeeping@y..., Lee Ratcliff <kc4art@j...> wrote:
        > I am working on cleaning up some used frames I was given. I have
        been told to just scrap them clean, scrap them clean and bake them,
        and scrape them clean, and boil them. Well, im not gonna boil them.
        Would make for a mess.

        > How you guys do it? Thanks

      • david flathman
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002

          are we talking about frames with foundation. or the pierco frames. i tried boiling them and they warped. at $2 a frame i would like to sterilize them, destroying the small hive beetle and start fresh. any thoughts would be appreciatted.

          david

           homesteed wrote:

          I learned from an old timer.  I received some equipment and was told
          to boil 'em or burn 'em.  We boiled them in lye water.

          Jeff
          in IN

          --- In beekeeping@y..., Lee Ratcliff <kc4art@j...> wrote:
          > I am working on cleaning up some used frames I was given.  I have
          been told to just scrap them clean, scrap them clean and bake them,
          and scrape them clean, and  boil them.  Well, im not gonna boil them.
          Would make for a mess.

          > How you guys do it?  Thanks

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Lee Ratcliff
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 20, 2002
            I would not boil them. I boil my fox traps in lye to clean and rust them. But if you boil the frames, the wood will warp and/or swell. I would say bake them at about 200� and you should be fine.

            Sparky

            To: beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
            From: david flathman <flathmand@...>
            Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
            Subject: Re: [beekeeping] Re: Cleaning used frames

            Jeff
            in IN

            --- In beekeeping@y..., Lee Ratcliff <kc4art@j...> wrote:
            > I am working on cleaning up some used frames I was given. I have
            been told to just scrap them clean, scrap them clean and bake them,
            and scrape them clean, and boil them. Well, im not gonna boil them.
            Would make for a mess.

            > How you guys do it? Thanks

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            *** Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep voting ***
            ** on what is for dinner. Liberty is the well **
            * armed sheep disputing the outcome of the vote *

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • Shane Woodruff
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 21, 2002
              When I mentioned a while back to boil them I
              meant the wooden frames. Of course you wouldn't boil
              the new Pierco plastic frames or any other type of
              plastic frames. As for frames swelling they will
              shrink again once they dry out. A few will warp but
              most will be fine. Its a lot quicker than heating and
              the equipement cheaper. All you need is a propane
              tank, a 55 gallon drum which you can cut in half and a
              head for the propane that you could later use to have
              a cookout. Put the whole super and frames in at one
              time and boil 10-15 minutes. Then, wash the lye off
              the equipement and let the sterilized equipement dry.

              --- david flathman <flathmand@...> wrote:

              > are we talking about frames with foundation. or the
              > pierco frames. i tried boiling them and they warped.
              > at $2 a frame i would like to sterilize them,
              > destroying the small hive beetle and start fresh.
              > any thoughts would be appreciatted.
              > david
              > homesteed wrote:I learned from an old timer. I
              > received some equipment and was told
              > to boil 'em or burn 'em. We boiled them in lye
              > water.
              >
              > Jeff
              > in IN
              >
              > --- In beekeeping@y..., Lee Ratcliff <kc4art@j...>
              > wrote:
              > > I am working on cleaning up some used frames I was
              > given. I have
              > been told to just scrap them clean, scrap them clean
              > and bake them,
              > and scrape them clean, and boil them. Well, im not
              > gonna boil them.
              > Would make for a mess.
              > >
              > > How you guys do it? Thanks
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              > Terms of Service.

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Rich Leonard
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007
                 I have numerous (200 +/-) used frames that were given to me that need
                cleaning.  Can anyone describe the hot water/lye cleaning method in detail ?
                I have an outdoor fire pit, an old 50gal metal drum, neoprene gloves, face
                mask, apron, etc.    How much lye in how much water is effective? How long
                should the frames soak for?  How much scrubbing is required ?  Is a clean
                water rinse advised ?  What is a good source for the lye?
                   I'm trying to decide if it's going to be worth the effort.

                Please accept in advance my gratitude for any and all advice.

                From New Durham, NH

              • david flathman
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007

                  i too have been wanting to clean frames.
                  the small hive beetle destroyed half my hives and i am afraid to install new swarms fearing that the eggs will introduce the beetles.
                  what is the best method  and what do you use to clean them and how to rinse them.

                  david in charleston sc

                  in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
                  to find your fit.
                • Rich Leonard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007
                    Hi David,

                       I don't have a problem with hive beetles (yet), so can not answer your question.
                    The used hive bodies and old frames I have been cleaning by using a propane torch and hand scraping
                    down to the bare wood.  I think the high heat will kill all bacteria, mold, and other bad guys.
                      The boiling in lye/water is suppose to make the cleaning much easier, but it sounds messy and hazardous.

                    -Rich

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 16, 2007

                      David,

                      A good cleaning with a soap and hot water should clean up the beetle mess. The beetle larvae, unlike wax moths, do not bore into the wood. The comb, of course, should be destroyed. The beetle larvae slime the comb so that the cells cannot be sealed by the bees. That’s part of why the bees abandoned the hive.

                      When you put these hives back into use, do not put them in the same location. If more than half your hives (how many is that?) were chased off by hive beetles, it’s time to move your bee yard. You should  also treat the ground around your hives with Gardstar EC. Mixing directions are on the label.

                      Mike McDonald

                      Ashland City, TN