RE: [beekeeping] New hive question

  • Darcy Holleman
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2006
      I have yet to open up and inspect my two new hives, and can't wait to do so, but I pushed the top forward on both of them to check my hivetop feeders and with each one I had bees climb up to give me a look over. No signs of panic or aggression, just a sort of curiosity on the part of the bees and me! Lots of humming going on inside! I am hoping I have a mellow pair of hives as I am a new-bee too. I chose to get one Italian queen and one Carnie queen just to get a feel for the difference, but from what I hear the Italian has the best temperment...does anyone else have a feeling about this?

      Jeff Lunglhofer <Jeff@...> wrote:
      Stefani,

      Even in my vast newbie-ness, I'd say that if the hive is that content and happy, then they almost certainly have a queen.  The difference in behanvior between queen right and queenless hives seems pretty striking to me (again with my "vast" pool of two queenless hives to draw from :)

      -Jeff

      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2006
        Most of the long time beekeepers here use it......I got some this spring to try.

        LaRae
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2006
          Stefani Leto <parkdayknitter@...> wrote:
          I hope someone here can help me. I just "accidentally" started keeping bees by hiving a swarm which came from a neighbor's wild hive. I checked the hive a week after moving it, and the bees are drawing out comb -- near the tops of the frames. There's some clear liquid in some of the cells, and a dark matter in some. I didn't see any brood or any capped cells. I also am not certain that I saw a queen. They seem like nice bees -- easy to work and hard working.

          Is it too early or have I done something wrong? I have some pictures if that would help.

          Hope you had foundation in your frames.  If the bees are drawing out the foundation, look for eggs at the very bottom of the cells.  They will look like tiny white grains of rice standing on end at the bottom of the cells.  After about a week you should be seeing some brood in the cells also.  Brood is a lot easier to see.  Takes three days for eggs to hatch after being laid.  Twenty-one days for new bees to emerge after eggs being laid.  Takes time.  Look for brood.  You see brood, you have a queen.

        • Mike Stoops

            Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2006
              I just started bee keeping as well and I mixed the HoneyBHealthy into the sugar syrup in my hive top feeder. Smells great! It is supposed to give them a boost and help give them a healthy start. I also sprayed down the hive frames with the combination before I put the bees in the hives. I also know experienced beekeepers who swear by it. I have yet to have a good look in the hive, so I really can't tell you how things are going other than it came highly recommended. My feeling is if it does give them a bit of a health boost then up here in the northeast it might be worth using. We have such a short season

              Kathleen L <TeaMom@...> wrote:
              Hello,  Has anyone used or heard anything about this product....  HoneyBHealthy ???
              what I have heard is that they are organic
              and are a combination of essence oils

              any comments?

              My sister just started keeping bees and the local club she joined really promotes it.

              looking forward to hearing more

              peace
              Kathleen
              in Vt

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 4, 2006
                In a message dated 5/3/2006 10:16:55 A.M. Central Daylight Time, parkdayknitter@... writes:
                I hope someone here can help me. I just "accidentally" started keeping bees by hiving a swarm which came from a neighbor's wild hive. I checked the hive a week after moving it, and the bees are drawing out comb -- near the tops of the frames. There's some clear liquid in some of the cells, and a dark matter in some. I didn't see any brood or any capped cells. I also am not certain that I saw a queen. They seem like nice bees -- easy to work and hard working.

                Is it too early or have I done something wrong? I have some pictures if that would help.

                Thanks

                Stefani
                Sammy Replies:  I would also suggest you buy a Beginners book on beekeeping I would suggest Walter T. Kelly's book "How to Keep Bees and Sell Honey" it's a soft cover and sells for $5.00 post paid.  Catalog number 262 you can order on line at Walter T. Kelley Company  or the URL is http://www.kelleybees.com

                Good Beekeeping.

                Sammy
                A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
                The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
                Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
                add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
                Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!
              • Larry Kelly
                Message 7 of 13 , May 4, 2006
                  I've used Honey-B-Healthy for a few years and swear by it. If you spray
                  pergo or plastic cell foundation with it, the bees accept it alot faster. I
                  also spray wax foundation with it and use it in hivetop feeders for new
                  hives and for starting swarms in hives. I use it in 1:1 sugar/water mix
                  as directed on the bottle. I guess you can tell I think it's GREAT
                  STUFF.

                  Larry

                  --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Darcy Holleman
                  <gardenbeez@...> wrote:

                  > I just started bee keeping as well and I mixed the HoneyBHealthy into
                  the sugar syrup in my hive top feeder. Smells great! It is supposed to
                  give them a boost and help give them a healthy start. I also sprayed
                  down the hive frames with the combination before I put the bees in the
                  hives. I also know experienced beekeepers who swear by it. I have yet
                  to have a good look in the hive, so I really can't tell you how things are
                  going other than it came highly recommended. My feeling is if it does
                  give them a bit of a health boost then up here in the northeast it might
                  be worth using. We have such a short season

                  > Kathleen L <TeaMom@...> wrote: Hello, Has anyone used or
                  heard anything about this product.... HoneyBHealthy ???
                  > what I have heard is that they are organic
                  > and are a combination of essence oils
                  >
                  > any comments?
                  >
                  > My sister just started keeping bees and the local club she joined
                  really promotes it.

                  > looking forward to hearing more
                  >
                  > peace
                  > Kathleen
                  > in Vt

                  > Beekeeping Beekeeping supplies Beekeeping equipment

                  Service.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • D.O.
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2006
                    I will soon move from California to Washington state.
                    I have two hives that are both doing rather well. I
                    have never moved bees more than a few miles.

                    The move is about 900 miles and will take two full
                    days of driving. The weather should be very mild. If I
                    screen them in, can I simply put them inside the
                    moving van with the rest of the cargo? How can I
                    provide water for them? I'm assuming they can't go a
                    couple days without a bit.

                    Am I better off just selling them and starting over
                    when I get to Washington? I know they'll need to be
                    inspected and registered when I arrive. I do not have
                    a flatbed truck available to transport them.

                    Thanks!

                    http://mail.yahoo.com