Just caught a swarm

  • - kept private -
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 1:51 PM
      Hi everyone, I finally caught my 1st swarm... what a thrill!

      Last spring, these bees had took up residence in an oak tree at my
      mother's house. I was going to extract them from the tree, but never
      got around to it. Today around noon, I went to my mother's to do some
      work and saw the bees swarming out of the tree. They zoomed around in
      a giant swirl and landed down on a little hedge bush next to the
      ground.

      I got a five gallon bucket, cut a hole in the lid and grabbed some
      scrap screen wire. I had my 6 year old make up some water and sugar
      mix. I spinkled some on the bee mass to help prevent them from flying
      off. I cut the hedge with some hand pruners just above and below the
      bees. I was able to set almost the whole mass in at one time. I
      covered the top with screen wire and popped the lid on. That didn't
      want to stay on well, so I then covered it with the towel and tied it
      shut.

      My grandmother told me how her father used to get swarms into hives,
      so I brought the bees home where I had an extra super, top, and
      bottom. I made some more sugar mix and coated the plasticells. I now
      have 3 planks across the bucket spporting the super. The mass of bees
      are climbing up into the super.... in a little while, I hope to be
      able to set the super over onto the bottom board.

      Any suggestions?
      Keith Bailey
    • Mike Gillmore
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 4:49 PM
        Sounds like you have everything under control Keith.

        And probably good survior stock too.

        Mike Gillmore