Varroa and bees and apples

  • Anthony Appleyard
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      I live in northwest England. A self-set apple tree in my garden has
      not fruited properly for several years, but every year it flowers
      heavily. The start of this unfruitful period seems to be suspiciously
      near the coming of varroa, as if the varroa wiped out a bee colony
      (perhaps a wild colony in woods near me) that formerly kept people's
      fruit trees pollinated. Is that a likely cause?
    • Jeff Lunglhofer
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        It certainly could be.  I've read a lot of statistics on the imact of varroa on fruit yields.  All I can say is that there must be something to it, because pollenation is BIG BUSINESS here in the South West.

        When it is flowering heavily, see if there are any bees working the blooms.  If not. . .well. . .that's a problem in terms of fruit yield.

        I have similar problems with my Avocado here in San Diego.  For three years I got one or two Avocados off my tree. . .last year we had a number of bees move into the sprinkler valve boxes around the neighborhood (they've been killed off now).  But we did have a fair amount of activity last spring.  And you guessed it, I got 57 avocados off my tree last year.

        57 vs. 3-4. . .hmmmm. . .

        -Jeff

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
          From my (brief) experience it could be. I bought a farm with a small
          orchard in 2001. Started with a package and 1 hive in April 2002, had
          a bumper crop of apples that year. Lost the hive over the winter
          (stupid beehaver), didn't replace in Spring...almost no apples in Fall,
          though trees bloomed well and the growing season was nearly perfect
          (vegetable garden fared poorly as well).
          Started new hive from a nuc last year in April, bumper apple crop,
          bountiful garden harvest.
          As of Saturday, hive is booming...two full deeps of bees, lots of brood
          & stores, hope to make a couple of nucs soon. Be interesting to see
          the apple crop this year.

          --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Appleyard"