Caution Newbee about to post

  • toddwillis@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 4:50 PM

      We are getting bee hives for our children to continue their study of entomology in 4-H.  We were given a starter kit as a gift and I have ordered another hive because I have read you would be better off with at least two. I also was thinking if we fail we could bring them in the house and use them as end tables or night stands. lol

      We live on eight acres in Southaven, MS.  My first of many questions is how far from the road should I locate the hives to avoid having the bees killed when the city sprays for mosquitos.  I don't have a clue what they spray with. I assume there is a standard chemical or hopefully a good rule of thumb to follow.

      Thanks for your tolerance and I will sit back and read and learn in the shadows.

      Todd

    • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31 7:54 PM
        In a message dated 3/31/2006 6:53:02 P.M. Central Standard Time, TODDWILLIS@... writes:

        We are getting bee hives for our children to continue their study of entomology in 4-H.  We were given a starter kit as a gift and I have ordered another hive because I have read you would be better off with at least two. I also was thinking if we fail we could bring them in the house and use them as end tables or night stands. lol

        We live on eight acres in Southaven, MS.  My first of many questions is how far from the road should I locate the hives to avoid having the bees killed when the city sprays for mosquitos.  I don't have a clue what they spray with. I assume there is a standard chemical or hopefully a good rule of thumb to follow.

        Thanks for your tolerance and I will sit back and read and learn in the shadows.

        Todd

        Sammy Replies:  When it comes to the city or county spraying the best distance is "AFAP" As Far as Possible.  Same rule of thumb works for people who might walk by.

        Sammy
        A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
        The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
        Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
        add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
        Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!