lost hive tool

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 20, 2006
      Have you all seen the new hive tool holster that's on the market?
      Boy, the time I have spent looking for my hive tool! Now I can keep
      it right at my side in a holster. It's great! There are currently
      some listed on ebay.
    • Lew Best
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 20, 2006
        Hey Jeff

        I haven't seen it but a guy in our bee club has a good idea; ties a piece of
        bright plastic ribbon (don't know the "proper name" for it) like
        contractors, surveyors, etc. on wood stakes coupla feet long he ties thru
        the hole in the hive tool. makes it easy to spot even if you drop it in
        tall grass & walk away from it without noticing.

        Lew near Waco, TX

        > Have you all seen the new hive tool holster that's on the market?
        > Boy, the time I have spent looking for my hive tool! Now I can keep
        > it right at my side in a holster. It's great! There are currently
        > some listed on ebay.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 20, 2006
          Great idea!

          --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Lew Best" <bee_keeper@...> wrote:

          > Hey Jeff
          >
          > I haven't seen it but a guy in our bee club has a good idea; ties a
          piece of
          > bright plastic ribbon (don't know the "proper name" for it) like
          > contractors, surveyors, etc. on wood stakes coupla feet long he ties
          thru
          > the hole in the hive tool. makes it easy to spot even if you drop
          it in
          > tall grass & walk away from it without noticing.
          >
          > Lew near Waco, TX

        • mpteleski
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
            --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <homesteed@...> wrote:

            > Have you all seen the new hive tool holster that's on the market?
            > Boy, the time I have spent looking for my hive tool! Now I can keep
            > it right at my side in a holster. It's great! There are currently
            > some listed on ebay.

            Yikes! that looks like a bad idea. Here is why i would not use it.
            Besides the spread of diease, it will also hold honey and wax and
            other good (to bees) smelling stuff right there next to your leg,
            encouraging bees to go that way. Not ideal. Instead, learn to not
            lose your tool. I seldom set my tool down. i manage ~40 hives and have
            been using the same tool for ~12 years.

            -matthew
          • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
              In a message dated 4/3/2006 2:30:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time, mpteleski@... writes:
              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <homesteed@...> wrote:

              > Have you all seen the new hive tool holster that's on the market?
              > Boy, the time I have spent looking for my hive tool!  Now I can keep
              > it right at my side in a holster.  It's great!  There are currently
              > some listed on ebay.

              Yikes! that looks like a bad idea. Here is why i would not use it.
              Besides the spread of disease, it will also hold honey and wax and other good (to bees) smelling stuff right there next to your leg, encouraging bees to go that way. Not ideal.  Instead, learn to not lose your tool. I seldom set my tool down. i manage ~40 hives and have been using the same tool for ~12 years.

              -matthew
              Sammy Replies:  I have seen pictures of these new Hive tool holster.   May work if you have the habit of losing your hive tool in the bee yard, like my son.  He is going to buy him one.  However I use a smoker with a shield The shield make a good a place to keep your hive tool.  Personally I keep mine in my hand or in my Hive tool pocket when not in use.  If one is worried about the spread of disease by the hive tool not keeping it in a holster ain't going to help.  In about 6 or 8 years my hive tools are beginning to get rather short so they go in the scrap pile.  I keep my hive tools sharp, sharp enough to cut cloth or trim wood.  Or even a finger if your not careful.

              Sammy
              A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
              The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
              Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
              add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
              Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!
            • Scot Mc Pherson
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
                Eheh, if I managed 40 hives, I think I could manage not to loose my
                tools either. When you are talking a multi yard operation, things become
                a little difference. However my tools consist of wood shims and a pocket
                knife. I don't use a hive tool much, I have one, but it gets less use
                than the pocket knife. I find they get too hot in the sun.

                --
                Scot Mc Pherson
                The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms

                . ` , ` '
                .,';`,. ``. '.
                _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
                /_____\ .:.,"'`
                /\_____/\ .,:`'"
                \###/.,';`

                > Have you all seen the new hive tool holster that's on the market?
                > Boy, the time I have spent looking for my hive tool! Now I can keep
                > it right at my side in a holster. It's great! There are currently
                > some listed on ebay.

                Yikes! that looks like a bad idea. Here is why i would not use it.
                Besides the spread of diease, it will also hold honey and wax and other
                good (to bees) smelling stuff right there next to your leg, encouraging
                bees to go that way. Not ideal. Instead, learn to not lose your tool. I
                seldom set my tool down. i manage ~40 hives and have been using the same
                tool for ~12 years.

                -matthew

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Jon McFadden
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
                  I have my queen raining program well under way here. Using a Nicot Cuplarve and a Coates division board for tools.
                  Here are the details so far:
                  http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6

                • ace
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                    Jon, good luck with this.  I didnt have much luck with this when I tried it but I can see from reading about what you have done that I made a few critical mistakes when I first started.  One question though:  I don't follow your reasoning for your initial steps i.e., reversing bottom board, plugging entrance, and re- routing to top entrance.  Pleas explain. Thanks..................ace
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                      Hi Ace,
                      I tried to present as detailed information as I could on the website, but I guess I didn't explain that part very well.
                      If you understand what the Cloake Board is, then I will start from there.
                      By reversing the bottom entrance and blocking it, the bees will seek the new opening between the two hive bodies. New bees will also orient themselves to this same opening. The bees won't be looking for another entrance on the north side of the hive.
                      Today, I will be putting the slide in. This will make the top box queenless. The opening to the top box will still be there, so any bees that oriented themselves to this new entrance should contimue to use it. This should really crowd the top box because they won't be able to return to the bottom box. The lower entrance will now be opened, too, to allow bees to exit there as well. A good portion of these should return to the top box, too.
                      I'll let you know how it works tomorrow when we do the grafting. I had planned to take a frame of emerging brood and some nurse bees from the bottom box to the top, but since it's raining and I don't own a bee suit, I'll just put in the slide today and do that tomorrow.
                      Jon

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                        I'm just a beginner when it comes to catching swarms.
                        I might have messed this one up.

                        A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from a woman who
                        said there was a swarm of bees in the hedge next to
                        her driveway. Sure enough, they were there inside the
                        privet hedge, about four feet off the ground. I set my
                        stuff up and got most of them into the box.

                        I saw that this wasn't just a swarm--they had built
                        about 6 square inchese of comb on a branch. Quite a
                        number were reluctant to join the other bees in the
                        box, who were fanning their behinds in the air to get
                        them to join. I smoked the reluctant bees rather
                        heavily to get them down into the box, and removed the
                        branch with the wax on it. Figured I got all the bees
                        I could and left.

                        It looks like I didn't get the queen. I don't see any
                        eggs and didn't see her in there with the bees that I
                        got.

                        However the woman called me back. There are a few
                        hundred bees all on the ground under the privet hedge.
                        I went over this afternoon and put them in a box. Most
                        seem rather lethargic. Just in a ball on the ground.

                        1. Did I mess up? What would you have done?

                        2. Why did these bees form a ball on the ground?

                        3. Can I add them to their sisters that I caught a
                        couple of weeks ago? I saw no obvious signs of
                        disease.

                        Thank you!

                        I'm in Santa Clara County, California. Our weather has
                        been very wet, but today has been mild and sunny.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Mike Stoops
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                          Jon McFadden <n6vc@...> wrote:
                          ....but since it's raining and .

                          It's raining there?

                          Since the 18th of February we have had 4.0 " of rain.    Please, please send some of yours our way.

                          Mike in Lower Alabama   LA

                        • Mike Stoops
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                            "D.O." <kg6mvx@...> wrote:
                            I set my stuff up and got most of them into the box.

                            ..... and removed the branch with the wax on it. Figured I got all the bees I could and left.

                            It looks like I didn't get the queen. I don't see any eggs and didn't see her in there with the bees that I got.

                            There are a few hundred bees all on the ground under the privet hedge. I went over this afternoon and put them in a box. Most seem rather lethargic. Just in a ball on the ground.

                            1. Did I mess up? What would you have done?

                            Think you may have accidentally squashed the queen and the bees that remained in the ball were in a ball around the dead queen.  You did right.  Just bad luck.

                            2. Why did these bees form a ball on the ground?

                            3. Can I add them to their sisters that I caught a
                            couple of weeks ago? I saw no obvious signs of
                            disease.

                            You can add them to your other bees.  Call the extension office and get the names of some beekeepers around you.  Call them and see if they can line you up with a replacement queen.  If not, see if you could have a frame of brood and eggs.  The bees will raise their own queen from that.  A new queen of known genetics is your best bet however.  If you raise a new queen from larvae, requeen in mid summer with a "good" quality queen.

                            Thank you!

                            I'm in Santa Clara County, California. Our weather has been very wet, but today has been mild and sunny.

                            Feed your bees heavily with sugar syrup as long as they will take it.  Let them fill out at least a hive body and a super to carry them through the coming winter.

                            Mike in LA (Lower Alabama)
                            ____________________________

                          • Jon McFadden
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                              Hi Mike,
                              Yeah, it's still raining here. I have a puddle in front of the house that hasn't been dry for more than a year. I feel bad because it's been so dry around us. Generally, it's the other way around. Wish I could force some your way.
                              Jon

                              Mike Stoops <mws1112004@...> wrote:
                              Jon McFadden <n6vc@...> wrote:
                              ....but since it's raining and .

                              It's raining there?

                              Since the 18th of February we have had 4.0 " of rain.    Please, please send some of yours our way.

                              Mike in Lower Alabama   LA

                            • George Fergusson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                                At 03:03 PM 4/6/06 -0700, you wrote:

                                >However the woman called me back. There are a few
                                >hundred bees all on the ground under the privet hedge.
                                >I went over this afternoon and put them in a box. Most
                                >seem rather lethargic. Just in a ball on the ground.

                                You might have just gotten the queen.

                                >1. Did I mess up? What would you have done?
                                >
                                >2. Why did these bees form a ball on the ground?

                                As I said, probably because the queen was there.

                                >3. Can I add them to their sisters that I caught a
                                >couple of weeks ago? I saw no obvious signs of
                                >disease.

                                They might accept their old queen, but it's been a while. It might be best
                                to put them over a double screen for a few days, or do a newspaper combine
                                if there are enough bees to chew through it. Not sure, I'm a little new at
                                this. You might even be able to spray them all lightly with sugar water and
                                shake them all together into a hive body. The disruption might make them
                                all more inclined to get along.

                                In ANY CASE, those bees are hungry. Feed them.

                                George-

                                George & Nancy Fergusson
                                Sweet Time Apiary
                                326 Jefferson Road