the queen

  • dickandjill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2002
      on arriving at my hive i found the queen on the grass in front of the
      hive with a few attendants around her - i was completely puzzled by
      this and wonder if any one could shed any light on this. was she
      perhaps going on her maiden flight? the queen was with a cast
      (secondary swarm) which we picked up last weekend from someone's
      front lawn and hived the same day. i freaked out and captured her and
      placed her back in the hive. was this the right thing to do? thankyou
      very much regards jill from england.
    • Garry Libby
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2002
        Hi Jill,
           I would agree with Your actions. I would have done the same.
        Please let Us know how this swarm does.
        Best Wishes,

        Garry Libby
        Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA

      • dickandjill
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2002
          --- In beekeeping@y..., "Garry Libby" <LibBEE@e...> wrote:
          > Hi Jill,
          > I would agree with Your actions. I would have done the same.
          > Please let Us know how this swarm does.
          > Best Wishes,
          >
          > Garry Libby
          > Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA
          >

          > ---

          Hi Garry
          just thought i'd let you know that the swarm i picked up is doing
          very well now that i have re-queened. it was all very nail biting
          when introducing as i'd never done this before, being a novice
          beekeeper. i just hope that the colony will be big enough to get
          through the winter!
          speak soon
          jill
          cornwall, england
        • Garry Libby
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2002
            Hi Jill,
               I'm glad that You were successfull. If You are in doubt about their strength for winter then I suggest You feed them a 2/1 sugar syrup so they will be heavy enough. Have You checked for mites?
            Best wishes.
            Garry

            Garry Libby
            Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA

          • Mark Coldiron
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2002
              Hello Jill,

              I agree with Gary about feeding sugar syrup, but I'd recommend using 1:1 sugar water until the end of September or even into October if you live in the South - then switch to 2:1. The reasoning behind this is that 2:1 will certainly build up stores, but will NOT stimulate the queen's egg laying.  Only 1:1 will do that.  If it were me, I'd stimulate egg and brood production as long as possible to build up strength for the Winter - then use 2:1 to fill the brood chamber for Winter stores.  Of course, if you ask 10 beekeepers, you'll get 11 different answers. :-)  Oh...., let me add this..., regardless which mix you choose, be sure to mix the proportions by weight - not volume.

              West Texas Mark