Re: Swarm Traps

  • linotsi
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2002
      --- In beekeeping@y..., "bbbayneus" <bayne@m...> wrote:
      > Has anyone tried the round swarm traps and swarm catch pheromones
      > that Dadant and Mann Lake sell? If so, have you had any luck with
      > them?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Travis

      Hi Travis,

      I cannot speak for the pheromones, but I will give you an easy and
      inexpensive solution to trap hives we use down here in Southern
      Africa. Get an apple box and place 3-4 frames with a starter strip of
      foundation or with old comb, in the box and wrap a wire around the
      frames. Close up the box and place a trash bag around the box and cut
      a hole at the handle entrance and tape open. Tie this to a tree and
      viola, trap box.

      Cheers,

      Mpho
    • brespark
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
        Is there any reason a swarm trap can't be a nuc with new frames and foundation or frames
        with empty comb on them with phermones added? I can only think of wax moths and
        maybe mold or mildew. Maybe frames with now foundation or comb?

        Bre
      • George Fergusson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
          In my limited experience with catching swarms, nucs just aren't big enough
          to be really attractive. The one swarm I caught this year I tried to hive
          in a 5 frame nuc and it wouldn't fit so it's unlikely they'd have decided
          to use it as a new home on their own.

          A single deep or a couple of mediums (preferably with some old comb) would
          work better.

          George-

        • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
            In a message dated 7/3/05 10:28:12 P.M. Central Daylight Time, brespark@... writes:
            Is there any reason a swarm trap can't be a nuc with new frames and foundation or frames
            with empty comb on them with phermones added?  I can only think of wax moths and
            maybe mold or mildew.  Maybe frames with now foundation or comb?

            Bre
            Sammy Replies:  I don't go after swarms as much as I us to, however when I did My favorite swarm trap was a box in which I secured a small piece of new wax comb.  The box was built out of 1 X 12 and was about 24 inches square.  The back 1 X 12 was cut 36 inches long one was cut 24 inches long and the two was cut 22 1/4 inches long.  The two were top an bottom nailed to the inside of the other two boards.  The back board was left 6 inches high as well as 6 inches under so it could be secured to a tree or pole.  A hole 2 inches across was drilled in the front and a single wire nailed across the hole to keep out birds.  I caught many swarms with a few of these.  Put them up a month before swarming season and take them down after swarming is over.

            Sammy
            Our web site:
            http://www.brownsbees.com
            http://brownsapiaries.com/