Cloudy honey?

  • D.O.
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
      What would make honey slightly cloudy? Lots of pollen?
      It seems on the runny side too.

      And I thought after a year of keeping bees, I would
      know it all!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • David Browder
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
        Cloudy and runny could mean the yeasts are holding court. Check the smell.
        It's happened to me twice over the years.
        > What would make honey slightly cloudy? Lots of pollen?
        > It seems on the runny side too.
        >
        > And I thought after a year of keeping bees, I would
        > know it all!

      • Mike Stoops
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
          "D.O." <kg6mvx@...> wrote:
          What would make honey slightly cloudy? Lots of pollen?
          It seems on the runny side too.

          If you extracted with too many open cells in the frame you might have too much moisture in the honey and it is starting to ferment.  You'll know that in a few weeks as the smell becomes very apparant.  Put it in a honey bear with a tight cap and you'll know within a day or so (Pops the cap).

          And I thought after a year of keeping bees, I would
          know it all!

          First of all, bees don't read, so sometimes the bees don't do what the books say they should do.  Ask four beekeepers how to do something and generally you'll get five answers.  Each beekeeper will have a different answer and by the time the fourth beekeeper gives his answer the first one has come up with another answer, the fifth one.

          Mike in Lower Alabama  LA