Re: [beekeeping] Detrimental Bee Predators

  • Todd Warner
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
      Looks like a Mud Dauber. They are solitary and somewhat beneficial (as are most wasps). I have loads of them in my area. In their vertical tubes that they create, they will stuff the carcase of an insect that they have stung to death and planted an egg in. Their favorite are spiders. We have craploads of large garden spiders. I cracked open a mud dauber nest right next to my front door (I clear them out there) and it was stuffed full of these spiders. Mind you, those spiders are beneficial too, but we have tons of them. :)

      Anyway, if they grab some bees or larvae they can't do much damage.

      -todd

      On 2/8/06, Scot Mc Pherson <scot.mcpherson@...> wrote:
      Its a mud dauber. They only want protein for the young. They aren't really detrimental at all. They don't have nests, and only store a little protein in those mud pockets they glue to vertical structures. They don't have a chance of effecting the production or population of your colonies.

      For further ID purposes, these wasps are VERY shiny, and they seem jittery when lit on something, twittering their wings constantly. They are very NON-aggressive towards people.

      --
      Scot Mc Pherson
      The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms

                                   .   `  ,  ` '
                               .,';`,.  ``.  '.
             _/^\_          :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
            /_____\       .:.,"'`
           /\_____/\   .,:`'"
             \###/.,';`

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
        What would make honey slightly cloudy? Lots of pollen?
        It seems on the runny side too.

        And I thought after a year of keeping bees, I would
        know it all!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • David Browder
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
          Cloudy and runny could mean the yeasts are holding court. Check the smell.
          It's happened to me twice over the years.
          > What would make honey slightly cloudy? Lots of pollen?
          > It seems on the runny side too.
          >
          > And I thought after a year of keeping bees, I would
          > know it all!

        • Mike Stoops
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
            "D.O." <kg6mvx@...> wrote:
            What would make honey slightly cloudy? Lots of pollen?
            It seems on the runny side too.

            If you extracted with too many open cells in the frame you might have too much moisture in the honey and it is starting to ferment.  You'll know that in a few weeks as the smell becomes very apparant.  Put it in a honey bear with a tight cap and you'll know within a day or so (Pops the cap).

            And I thought after a year of keeping bees, I would
            know it all!

            First of all, bees don't read, so sometimes the bees don't do what the books say they should do.  Ask four beekeepers how to do something and generally you'll get five answers.  Each beekeeper will have a different answer and by the time the fourth beekeeper gives his answer the first one has come up with another answer, the fifth one.

            Mike in Lower Alabama  LA