Re: [beekeeping] Re: 2nd hive

  • George Fergusson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2006
      At 03:32 AM 1/9/06 -0000, you wrote:
      >Thanks again George, for the help.
      > I hadn't thought of putting it in the freezer. I will get on that
      >right away, well I may just wait until tomorrow, it is now 10 pm and
      >very dark outside, so tomorrow will have to be soon enough. lol

      Well, it would probably be fine outside while it's cold, but when it starts
      to warm up it will get moldy, doesn't hurt it any but if you can freeze it,
      I would. It may be quite warm by the time you need it.

      >I wasn't sure the bees would be able to repopulate the old hive. I
      >have already stopped the entrance up so nothing can enter it, and
      >tomorrow I will clean the old bees out and restop the entrance.
      >I was sure the whole thing would have to be burnt or something like
      >that.

      Only for american foul brood do they recommend burning the combs and
      frames, and scorching the boxes. It wouldn't hurt to get someone with more
      experience to look at the combs, an inspector, or another beekeeper.

      >Glad to hear the hive bodies and the wax will be able to be used
      >again next year if I do get to split the one surviving hive I have,
      >if it also survives the winter. I sure hope the Varroa treatment
      >works and I can save this one hive. The bees were very well clustered
      >and after I disturbed them they all decided to fly around a bit. It
      >was about 50 degrees today and more so I don't think I harmed them
      >too much by opening the hive. I hope not anyway.

      Not at 50 degrees.

      > I really like being
      >able to ask questions here and get very fast responses to my
      >questions.
      >Thanks again.
      >Sharon

      I know what you mean.

      George-

      ---------------------------------------
      George & Nancy Fergusson
      Sweet Time Apiary
      326 Jefferson Road
      Whitefield Maine 04353
      207-549-5991
      http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/
    • Paul Rowland
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2006
        George is giving FREE advice??? :)

        On 1/9/06, George Fergusson <gsferg@...> wrote:
        At 03:32 AM 1/9/06 -0000, you wrote:
        >Thanks again George, for the help.
        > I hadn't thought of putting it in the freezer. I will get on that
        >right away, well I may just wait until tomorrow, it is now 10 pm and
        >very dark outside, so tomorrow will have to be soon enough. lol

        Well, it would probably be fine outside while it's cold, but when it starts
        to warm up it will get moldy, doesn't hurt it any but if you can freeze it,
        I would. It may be quite warm by the time you need it.

        >I wasn't sure the bees would be able to repopulate the old hive. I
        >have already stopped the entrance up so nothing can enter it, and
        >tomorrow I will clean the old bees out and restop the entrance.
        >I was sure the whole thing would have to be burnt or something like
        >that.

        Only for american foul brood do they recommend burning the combs and
        frames, and scorching the boxes. It wouldn't hurt to get someone with more
        experience to look at the combs, an inspector, or another beekeeper.

        >Glad to hear the hive bodies and the wax will be able to be used
        >again next year if I do get to split the one surviving hive I have,
        >if it also survives the winter. I sure hope the Varroa treatment
        >works and I can save this one hive. The bees were very well clustered
        >and after I disturbed them they all decided to fly around a bit. It
        >was about 50 degrees today and more so I don't think I harmed them
        >too much by opening the hive. I hope not anyway.

        Not at 50 degrees.

        > I really like being
        >able to ask questions here and get very fast responses to my
        >questions.
        >Thanks again.
        >Sharon

        I know what you mean.

        George-

        ---------------------------------------
        George & Nancy Fergusson
        Sweet Time Apiary
        326 Jefferson Road
        Whitefield Maine 04353
        207-549-5991
        http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • George Fergusson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2006
          I'd love to charge for it. Where should I send the bill?

          George-

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
            In all candor. Is everyone reading this?? We're all watched. I've watched George. What a veritable delight to have him share, help and encourage!!!! If there were more Georges in the world, we'd have bees on the moon by now. Cheers to George for all he brings to beekeeping!

            On 1/12/06, George Fergusson <gsferg@...> wrote:
            I'd love to charge for it. Where should I send the bill?

            George-

            At 12:00 PM 1/12/06 -0500, you wrote:
            >   George is giving FREE advice??? :)

            Beekeeping Beekeeping supplies Beekeeping equipment

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • George Fergusson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 13, 2006
              Hehehe..

              Thanks Paul. I try. And I'm not alone. Everyone learns, everyone teaches. I
              do enjoy sharing my experience, strength, and hope- such as it is, and I
              enjoy and need the help of others. We're all in this together.

              Now, about that bill... what was your address again?

              George-