inspecting the bottom hive body

  • glenmorgan1
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2002
      I am about to add my second deep super. I wonder how I shall go about
      inspecting the bottom hive body when the new one starts filling up.
      Do I remove the second and set it on the ground? Or do I no longer
      have to inspect the one on the bottom?

      I can't find any info on this in my Beekeeping for Dummies book.
      Thanks very much for your advice.

      Mike Mundy
      Glen Morgan Honey Farm
    • Mark Coldiron
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2002
        When you say "add a deep super", are you talking about a box placed ontop of
        the brood box or boxes and a queen excluder for collecting honey, or are you
        talking about adding another box to make a larger brood chamber? It's not
        called a super unless it's used for collecting honey.

        If you're increasing the size of the brood chamber by adding another box,
        then the answer is yes, you should look at all the brood chamber boxes in
        the Spring and Fall and any other time you think something might be wrong.

        If your're talking about adding a super for honey, you really don't need to
        look at the rest until you've harvested you honey later in the year - unless
        of course you suspect something is wrong. By the way, if you are using deep
        boxes for supers, you better be pretty young and have a strong back!

        Mark in West Texas

        > I am about to add my second deep super. I wonder how I shall go about
        > inspecting the bottom hive body when the new one starts filling up.
        > Do I remove the second and set it on the ground? Or do I no longer
        > have to inspect the one on the bottom?
        >
        > I can't find any info on this in my Beekeeping for Dummies book.
        > Thanks very much for your advice.
        >
        > Mike Mundy
        > Glen Morgan Honey Farm

      • homesteed
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2002
          Handling tip for today. Never set any box of frames on the ground.
          Remember this is food. Set your top flat on the ground up-side down.
          Set any hive bodies or supers on this.

          Maybe others out there have simular tips.??? :)

          Jeff
          in IN
        • glenmorgan1
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2002
            Thanks for your advice! Yes, I am adding a second hive body for brood
            and winter honey storage. Yesterday I opened the hive and found the
            10 frames were all nearly drawn out. (This is a brand new hive.) The
            two frames on the end had some vertical bars of comb on them which
            made it so that these two frames would have to remain side by side so
            the comb could mesh together. There was even some comb built on the
            wood, as if there had been another frame present. I removed that
            comb, which really upset the bees. Fortunately I was fully dressed
            with gloves. There was a lot of burr comb on top of the frames, which
            I scraped away.

            There were also what appeared to be supercedure cells near the bottom
            of two of the frames. I added the second deep hive body with 10
            frames of new foundation. Presently, I am feeding the bees with
            Boardman feeders, two at each side of the entrance. You may recall
            that I got off to a bad start with a division board feeder inside. As
            soon as I can see my supplier, I'll get a top feeder.

            Thanks,

            Mike Mundy
            PS. Glen Morgan is the place where I keep my bees... Glen as in a
            landscape term!

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/