when to stop feeding

  • s l
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
      I have a question. I live in NC and went out today to
      feed my bees because it had been a few weeks since I
      had. For the first time there was still sugar water in
      the top feeders of both hives. I am assuming they are
      dormant now. My question is this should I remove the
      top feeders for the rest of the winter? If we have a
      warm spell will they feed again? I am concernd because
      I noticed one of the hives feeder was full of tiny
      dead ants. This is my first winter with bees so just
      wondering what to do.

      Sharon in NC

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
        In a message dated 12/8/2005 2:44:43 P.M. Central Standard Time, mopar722001@... writes:
        I have a question. I live in NC and went out today to
        feed my bees because it had been a few weeks since I
        had. For the first time there was still sugar water in
        the top feeders of both hives. I am assuming they are
        dormant now. My question is this should I remove the
        top feeders for the rest of the winter? If we have a
        warm spell will they feed again? I am concernd because
        I noticed one of the hives feeder was full of tiny
        dead ants. This is my first winter with bees so just
        wondering what to do.

        Sharon in NC
        Sammy Replies:  First I would need to know WHY you are feeding your bees?  Did they not have enough stores for winter?  If no, Why?

        Sammy
        A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
        The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
        Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
        add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
        Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Host your Web site with BizLand!
      • s l
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2005
          In my opinion they did not. I am part of a state
          program and did not get the bees and hives from the
          state until late May. I was told by the state
          inspector to keep feeding them after he came and
          looked at my hives a few months back. The colonies are
          small especially the russian hive.

          Sharon

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 9, 2005
            In a message dated 12/9/2005 12:10:21 P.M. Central Standard Time, mopar722001@... writes:
            In my opinion they did not. I am part of a state
            program and did not get the bees and hives from the
            state until late May. I was told by the state
            inspector to keep feeding them after he came and
            looked at my hives a few months back. The colonies are
            small especially the russian hive.

            Sharon
            Sammy Replies:  Then by all means leave the feed on them they will take as needed and as it is warm enough for them to break cluster.

            On the other side of this coin if they fail to produce enough next year for you and them requeen with a queen from a different breeder.

            Sammy
            A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
            The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
            Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
            add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
            Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            Host your Web site with BizLand!
          • ktwoptwo
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
              I was just wondering when I should stop feeding my bees. I went to
              inspect the hive today and there were only three bees in the feeder and
              none on the underside. Ususaly there are a coupe handfulls of bees.
              Is this a sign that I should stop feeding? Your help would be
              appreciated.

              Thanks
              Jeff in Il
            • Mike Stoops
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 15, 2006
                ktwoptwo <rsd@...> wrote:
                I was just wondering when I should stop feeding my bees. I went to inspect the hive today and there were only three bees in the feeder and none on the underside. Ususaly there are a coupe handfulls of bees. Is this a Is this a sign that I should stop feeding? Your help would be appreciated.

                Thanks
                Jeff in Il

                Observe the front of your hive during flight times.  If the bees are really busy going in and out but still are not using the feeder, I would say that they are too busy getting nectar to use the feeder.  Observe the brood chamber(s).  If they are filling a lot of the frames with honey then you should make sure that the outside frames are drawn and being filled with honey.  If they aren't, swap them with the frame just interior to them.  Also place a super or another hive body on top of the single hive body you have now.  If you have two hive bodies, then start adding supers, and DON'T do any more feeding, otherwise you'll have a bunch of honey made from sugar syrup.

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Harold and Sue Karber
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 16, 2006
                  Watch the amount and age of the feedings.  You want the bees to have enough but not have it go foul.   Time of day/temp/weather all play a role.   If it is a new hive and I am not going to rob it then I feed and refresh feed as needed even if it seems I am wasting feed.    I want them to grow strong and build the hive.   Check your frames for laying and make sure your hive is growing.   Are there lots of natural flowers and feed available?   They will use less feed from you but me I still keep a new hive well stocked.    Water supply also makes a difference.   Fresh water is a must.   It is a daily learning process.   I can tell now by sound and attitude what the girls want.   At first it is a wonder any of them survived.   If there was a mistake I made it and guess what,   bees will make it in spite of us.
                  Harold and Sue Karber  Oklahoma
                  If you put someone down then put them down on your prayer list.
                  No to NAIS
                  http://www.nonais.org/  information here
                  http://www.downsizedc.org/   Take ACTION HERE
                  http://libertyark.net/  Take further action HERE  Paper petitions here take with you everywhere.
                  http://www.stopanimalid.org/
                  http://www.grannywarriors.com/
                  Time is running out.  It's up to YOU to stop NAIS before it's too late and, make no mistake, if this flawed program becomes mandatory, it WILL affect you
                  Email scanned by Norton Anti Virus