Re: [beekeeping] Terminology: raw honey, unfiltered honey, etc.

  • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 4, 2005
      In a message dated 11/2/2005 7:25:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, gsferg@... writes:
      Yes, they are specific terms with specific meanings. Some as you note
      aren't that obvious. I can't say right off where to find the list of names
      with definitions. The National Honey Board might have it, or the USDA. If I
      find something, I'll post it here.

      George-
      Sammy Replies:  LOL Should have known better than to ask a Federal Government worker for information about Labeling Laws pertaining to the sale of Honey produced and packaged here in the United States.  I got the information I ask for alright all 350 pages of it.

      Because it is so much I will create a page for our web site and post it there so if you wish to read it you can.  350 pages is just entirely to much to post to an email list it would take 10 or more parts.

      I will have the page up some time today.

      You will be able to find it by going to http://www.brownsapiaries scroll down to our pages click on the "Labeling Laws" bar.  Should be ready to view about 1:00 PM CST

      Sammy
      Our web site: http://www.brownsbees.com  or http://brownsapiaries.com/
      add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
      Other screen names I can be reached at: sammy@..., farmerbrown49@..., ASamBrown@... Host your Web site with BizLand!
    • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 4, 2005
        In a message dated 11/2/2005 7:25:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, gsferg@... writes:
        Yes, they are specific terms with specific meanings. Some as you note
        aren't that obvious. I can't say right off where to find the list of names
        with definitions. The National Honey Board might have it, or the USDA. If I
        find something, I'll post it here.

        George-
        Sammy Replies:  Oops:  I spoke way to soon a bit a go about having the information posted by 1:00 PM CST.  After looking closer at the pages sent my Auto-Format won't work.  They sent the information as if it was Faxed one page at a time at the top of each page is Repeated information.  I am having to remove this by hand.  I have don't 100 pages this morning but have to leave.  Hope to have the information on line by early next week.  It will be at the same location on the home page.

        Sammy
        Our web site: http://www.brownsbees.com  or http://brownsapiaries.com/
        add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
        Other screen names I can be reached at: sammy@..., farmerbrown49@..., ASamBrown@... Host your Web site with BizLand!
      • George Fergusson
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 4, 2005
          Thanks a lot Sammy! You've perform a valuable service :)

          George-

          At 10:27 AM 11/4/05 EST, you wrote:

          > I got the information I ask for alright all 350 pages of it. 350
          >pages is just entirely to much to post to an email list it would take 10
          >or more parts. I will have the page up some time today. You will be
          >able to find it by going to http://www.brownsapiaries Should be ready to
          >view about 1:00 PM CST Sammy
          >Our web site: http://www.brownsbees.com or http://brownsapiaries.com/
          >add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at
          >http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
          >Other screen names I can be reached at: sammy@...,
          >farmerbrown49@..., ASamBrown@... Host your Web site with
          >BizLand!

          ---------------------------------------
          George & Nancy Fergusson
          Sweet Time Apiary
          326 Jefferson Road
          Whitefield Maine 04353
          207-549-5991
          http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/
        • Shanta McBain
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 6, 2005
            On November 2, 2005 05:06 pm, Lew Best wrote:
            > Hey Sammy
            >
            > How do you lay these out & print them? Multiples on one page? Singles
            > using roll labels? Etc. etc. etc.???

            I use my inkjet printer and Avery labels. Works fine for small numbers.

            --
            Thanks
            Shanta McBain
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 7, 2005
              You can use avery lables and if you have word they are set up to print exactly, individually or by the sheet. We use them for our vegtable boxes. If you want color I would recommend a color laser printer. About $600.00 but they are more water proof than most inkjet printers.

              Mike Gillmore <magfamhist@...> wrote:
              Hello everyone,

              I wonder if anyone could suggest, based on your experience, a good approach to either making or ordering custom labels for 1# honey jars. I would love to have labels that include an Apiary Name, type of honey, and other information such as "Raw" or "Unfiltered" printed on the label.

              Has anyone successfully used a label program on your PC that produced professional results ?

              Is there a cusom label-making company that you have used which gave you good labels at a reasonable price ?

              Right now I am using some nice generic labels but I think it would make sense to spend a little extra money to include more info on a label, especially an apiary name and phone # for re-ordering honey and advertisement. Or, possibly even an extra round label for the lid with the information on it. I'm just getting started so it's hard to know which way to go.

              Thanks for any suggestions !

              Mike

            • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 7, 2005
                Got all that text 350 pages down to 252 pages.  A lot of it has nothing or very little to do with the labeling of Honey.  I will edit the page at a later time to delete the parts which do not pertain to the labeling of Honey.  You can view the laws at:

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 8, 2005
                  In a message dated 11/4/2005 12:38:08 P.M. Central Standard Time, gsferg@... writes:
                  Thanks a lot Sammy! You've perform a valuable service :)

                  George-
                  Thank you and those who use our web site for their source of information.