beekeeping, enterance reducers

  • Bill Melke
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005

      When should you place the opening reducers in the hive entrance? Will this restriction on the ventilation of the hive cause problems, I'm feeding sugar syrup? Other than keeping out mice and other critters are the restrictors important in the Midwest with our normal winters? Could a different type of entrance restrictor be used ( I have the wooden blocks furnished with the hives), I'm worried about mold and mildew setting up in the hive.
    • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
        In a message dated 11/1/2005 5:56:54 A.M. Central Standard Time, bill@... writes:
        When should you place the opening reducers in the hive entrance? Will this restriction on the ventilation of the hive cause problems, I'm feeding sugar syrup? Other than keeping out mice and other critters are the restrictors important in the Midwest with our normal winters? Could a different type of entrance restrictor be used ( I have the wooden blocks furnished with the hives), I'm worried about mold and mildew setting up in the hive.
        Sammy Replies:  If you are going to use entrance reducers I would strongly advice using some sort of top ventilation.  This top ventilation can be archived in a number of way the most common and the one I dislike the most is to drill a hole in the top brood nest just below the hand hold.  My favorite is to place a 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick strip all the way around the top hive body just under the lid leaving a 3/8 to 1 inch wide gap in the front.  This will work even with the telescoping covers.  The added strips can be under the enter cover or on top if your enter cover has a hole in the middle.

        Here in S. E. TX I don't use top ventilation except in the late spring and early summer.

        Sammy
        Our web site: http://www.brownsbees.com  or http://brownsapiaries.com/
        add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
        Other screen names I can be reached at: sammy@..., farmerbrown49@..., ASamBrown@... Host your Web site with BizLand!