Too Late to requeen

  • RH
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      I  opened one of my hives this weekend and could not find the queen or brood. I could not find here in Sept but was in a hurry and figured I just missed her. I have about one super full of bees. My question is can I requeen this hive for winter or is it too late?

    • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
        In a message dated 10/31/2005 7:33:04 A.M. Central Standard Time, summer_creek_farm@... writes:
        I  opened one of my hives this weekend and could not find the queen or brood. I could not find here in Sept but was in a hurry and figured I just missed her. I have about one super full of bees. My question is can I requeen this hive for winter or is it too late?
        Sammy Replies:  as I read this it is October 31, 2005 Very doubtful you can find a queen this time of year, how ever if you can find a mated Queen it is never to late to requeen.  I have requeened in every month of the year.  When I was raising queens I keep queens year round and will again hopefully starting in 2007.

        Sammy
        Our web site: http://www.brownsbees.com  or http://brownsapiaries.com/
        add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
        Other screen names I can be reached at: sammy@..., farmerbrown49@..., ASamBrown@... Host your Web site with BizLand!
      • George Fergusson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
          If you can find a queen, it's probably worth it, otherwise they'll not make
          it through the winter. It's certainly late, though I just requeened a hive
          about 2 weeks ago.

          Where are you located?

          For queens you might try Michael Bush- he still had some the last time I
          checked:

          http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

          George-

          At 05:31 AM 10/31/05 -0800, you wrote:
          > opened one of my hives this weekend and could not find the queen or
          >brood. I could not find here in Sept but was in a hurry and figured I just
          >missed her. I have about one super full of bees. My question is can I
          >requeen this hive for winter or is it too late?
          ---------------------------------------
          George & Nancy Fergusson
          Sweet Time Apiary
          326 Jefferson Road
          Whitefield Maine 04353
          207-549-5991
          http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/
        • Paul Rowland
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
            You can get queens year-round from Kona Queen(http://www.konaqueen.com/about.html). Your environment is different, every apiary is different. You know your bees best.

            On 10/31/05, George Fergusson <gsferg@...> wrote:
            If you can find a queen, it's probably worth it, otherwise they'll not make
            it through the winter. It's certainly late, though I just requeened a hive
            about 2 weeks ago.

            Where are you located?

            For queens you might try Michael Bush- he still had some the last time I
            checked:

            http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

            George-

            At 05:31 AM 10/31/05 -0800, you wrote:
            >     opened one of my hives this weekend and could not find the queen or
            >brood. I could not find here in Sept but was in a hurry and figured I just
            >missed her. I have about one super full of bees. My question is can I
            >requeen this hive for winter or is it too late?
            George & Nancy Fergusson
            Sweet Time Apiary
            326 Jefferson Road
            Whitefield Maine 04353