Re: I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • bbbayneus
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2002
      I agree with Mark on the standardization of hive bodies. I use 3
      medium supers for the brood chamber. This is a big help to me because
      I build all of my supers myself, so I only have to get one width of
      lumber. Plus, I can buy wax and frames in bulk because I only need
      one size. I went with Duragilt foundation this year. The only trick
      was that I had to drill communication holes in the foundation before
      I built up my frames. If dadant offers medium duragilt with
      communication holes, I must have missed it. If you run into this, I
      suggest an 11/16 bit in a drill press set on a slow speed. My father
      and I just installed two packages of Buckfast from R. Weaver today. I
      used my six-pack prototype feeder on one hive and used a boardman
      feeder on the other.

      Has anyone had any experience with Buckfast bees? I've tried to
      requeen with them in the past, but I didn't have much luck. Hopefully
      these will work out.