extracting honey etc ...

  • Linda Rae
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2005
      I wish you guys would talk more about extraction, post photos of the
      hassles and mess etc .....

      I'm new to this beekeeping thing, only had a beekeeper boyfriend for about
      18 months etc ....... he had over 300 hives when I first met him, but he
      has since reduced that to about 160-180 hives, due to the Leatherwood
      resources being depleted (info http://www.saveyourleatherwoodhoney.com/ )
      and his age..... now that he is down sizing he is talking about a smaller
      storage tank and extraction equipment etc.
      I made a page last year to show to my family what I was talking about ...
      http://au.geocities.com/raindael2/HoneyShed/pegasus.html

      We are now making plans to build a house on this land, so when that's built
      I will be living and breathing bees and am trying to understand what's
      really involved .... the feeding, the moving of bees for pollination, the
      extraction and the selling of "raw" honey........

    • Christine Headley
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3 2:37 PM
        At 23:27 30/09/2005, you wrote:
        >I wish you guys would talk more about extraction, post photos of the
        >hassles and mess etc .....

        I've just borrowed an electric extractor. While I've had hives for a couple
        of years, the yield in the first and second years was virtually nil, so
        this is my first time with a decent crop.

        How long should it take the extractor, going as fast as it can, to extract
        the honey? Ten minutes? Four hours? I forgot to ask the guy who lent it to
        me...

        Best wishes
        Christine

        Christine Headley
        Listowner, Virtual Book Group - October choice - Tristram Shandy by
        Laurence Sterne
        New e-mail address for correspondence: christine@...
        Butterrow, Stroud, Glos