Re: ping

  • Garry Libby
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
      Hi Sue,

      Well, I started four years ago. First, I read some good beginning
      beekeeping books, I was lucky in a way, that I first thought about keeping
      bees in the middle of summer. Because it was too late to start, so I sent
      for some books and read them cover to cover(I guess I had too much time on
      My hands as I read about five, including "The Hive and the Honeybee", the
      "bible" of beekeeping. I guess it must be winter in Australia? Then if I
      were You, I would send for some catalogs from local bee supply companies,
      they are full of great info on beekeeping and are loaded with useful advice.
      Up here in the U.S. We order our bees in the winter to be delivered in early
      spring. I'm not sure how Your winters are, are they mild? Nick wallingford,
      from New Zealand has a great web page on beekeeping, are You familiar with
      it? The address is:
      http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/index.htm
      There is one of the worlds best pages of links at this site, and the site
      itself is probably the best there is.
      And if at all possible, find a local beekeeping club, that is the best place
      to find help as locations are so very different even only twenty miles
      apart, there are micro-climates that change the fauna where bees get their
      nectar. You can find some people there that would be very happy to mentor
      You. I was lucky, I found a man in His eighties Who was very helpful, He
      taught Me so much. I hope this helps somewhat, if I've left anything out,
      please let Me know and I'll be glad to help.
      Garry Libby
      Attleboro, MA U.S.A.
      LibBEE@...
    • HONEYDEER1@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
        Hi Sue,
        The best way to start out is small so you can learn as you go with out being
        overwelmed. Let the bees increase themselves naturally for a while until you
        are comfortable with them.
        Roni
      • inma@xxxxxxx.xxx.xx
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 12, 1999
          At 01:05 PM 7/11/99 EDT, you wrote:
          >From: "Susan Jordan" <geronimo_13@...>
          >
          >Just so you know Sue, not everyone is from the USA I am from Ontario Canada
          >:)

          Still a long way from me though.