Re: trouble with a division board feeder

  • k0zmr
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2002
      Division board feeders are a pain. You have to make sure there is a
      piece of wood in the feeder that floats freely when you fill it. That
      gives the bees something to hang on to. I use them in nucs (4-5
      frames) that I'm going to be moving around. It is a hassle to fill
      them and to get them out.

      I'd recommend some sort of top feeder. Mann Lake has some good 3
      gallon feeders that are pretty indestructible. Don't waste time w/
      the 1 gallon size. The three gallon is about right for fall or spring
      feeding.

      I put the top feeder over an inner cover or migrating cover w/ a hole
      in it and then put an empty deep supper and telescoping cover over the
      whole thing to protect it from the elements and weather. The top
      feeder is nice because you can usually pull it off w/ having to suit
      up.
    • PalOfHim@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2002
        In a message dated 5/1/2002 11:22:41 AM Central Standard Time, jleeper@... writes:

        Mann Lake has some good 3
        gallon feeders that are pretty indestructible.

        Do we have an Email addy for this company ??

        Zer
      • Chance C. Geurin
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2002
          On Wed, 1 May 2002 12:38:03 EDT, PalOfHim@... wrote:
          >Do we have an Email addy for this company ??

          http://www.mannlakeltd.com

          Chance C. Geurin (chance@...)
          Colorado Springs, Colorado
          Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
        • PalOfHim@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2002
            In a message dated 5/1/2002 12:09:21 PM Central Standard Time, chance@... writes:

            http://www.mannlakeltd.com

            Thanks !!  Oh yea !!  And I use to live in Colorado Springs !!

            Zeruiah~
          • Chance C. Geurin
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2002
              On Wed, 1 May 2002 13:36:26 EDT, PalOfHim@... wrote:
              >Thanks !!  Oh yea !!  And I use to live in Colorado Springs !!

              You're welcome!  Good place to live except for the drought we're having right now.  Hopefully we'll have enough wildflowers for the bees!  I'm new at this beekeeping thing myself (first year), but so far all is going well!  Knock on wood...

              Chance C. Geurin (chance@...)
              Colorado Springs, Colorado
              Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
            • Mark Coldiron
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                > Hi Shanta
                >
                > I am interested in your comments about bee venom and MS. I suffer
                > with relapsing-remitting MS, fortunatly with almost no long term
                > disability, but I used to get at least 2 relapses per year. Since
                > keeping bees, this is only my second season, I have had NONE!
                > (possibly coincidence)
                >
                > Do you know of any studies that are working on venom in MS or any
                > research?
                >
                > Richard
                > (Berkshire, UK)

                Subscribe to the following group. They have the info you want.

                Mark in West Texas

                SUBSCRIBE
                subscribe to the list

                JOIN
                subscribe to the list

                UNSUBSCRIBE
                unsubscribe from the list

                REMOVE
                unsubscribe from the list

                SUSPEND
                suspends your account until you send a RESUME account

                SUSPEND-xx
                suspends your account for xx days or until you send
                a RESUME command

                RESUME
                restarts your suspended account

                SEARCH-xx
                search messages from the past xx days
                (xx is a number). Enter the text you wish
                to find as the first line of the message
                body

                DIGEST
                get detailed help for DIGEST commands

                DIGEST-xx
                set digest period to xx days (xx is a number) and
                turn on digest mode

                DIGEST-OFF
                turn off digest mode

                DIGEST-ON
                resume digest mode using default or last selected period

                RESEND
                get a single digest message for the last 7 days of messages

                RESEND-xx
                get a single digest message for the last xx days of messages
                (xx is a number)

                STATS
                Statistics

                HELP
                get help with list commands (this message)

                If the subject of your message is anything other than one of the
                above commands, the message is forwarded to everyone who has
                subscribed to the mailing list.

                A digest is a single MIME-encoded message containing the contents of
                all the messages posted to the mailing list during the digest period.
                If you send the DIGEST-xx command to the list, you will no longer
                receive individual messages. Instead you will receive digest
                messages at the specified interval. To resume receiving individual
                messages, send the DIGEST-OFF command.

                Kind regards,
                Durk Ellison
                Apitherapy-L owner/moderator
                Durk.Ellison@...
              • bbbayneus
                Message 7 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                  I have designed a feeder that holds up to six quarts of syrup and
                  takes the place of a super. It works along the same premise as a hive
                  entrance feeder, but it is protected from the elements and from
                  scavengers. I have been contemplating on selling them. If you would
                  like some pictures and a further description, drop me an e-mail at
                  bayne@....
                • ME Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2002

                    Hi everyone!  My name is Emmy and I am a first year beekeeper in NC with a lot of questions that I hope you can help me with.  I installed my two hives about two weeks ago on Sunday April 21.  I have been feeding them sugar water with an outside jar feeder.  This seems to be doing the trick...both hives have been going through about a quart of sugar water every three or four days.  I went back into the hive this Monday to check things out.  I was impressed by all the work they had done.  Both hives had worked on about four or five frames.  Not really sure what I was seeing.  I know that none of the cells were capped but there were some with darker stuff in them and some with a light amber color.  I did see the queen on one of the frames so I quess everying was okay.  They seem to be working on the cells in a pretty organized fashion...the frames were all covered with either filled cells or the comb had been nicely drawn out.  Does it sound like everything is all right?  What is in the cells and how can I tell which is honey and which is brood.   My other major question is about space and when to add another brood chamber or start adding supers.  I was planning on going back into the hives two weeks from the last time.  Are they going to run out of room in the brood chamber by then?  Do I need to add another brood chamber or just start adding supers for honey?  Any advice would be appreciated!

                    Thanks so much;

                    Emmy

                    gypsygurley@...

                    Do You Yahoo!?