Re: [beekeeping] trouble with a division board feeder

  • tlcrosley
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2002
      Hi Michael,  I just got my first hive 4 days ago.  I spent the winter studying all the bee info I could get my hands on.  For feeders, after looking at what's available, I chose a hive-top feeder that I ordered from bee-commerce.com  It has several advantages over other feeders.  You can fill it without disturbing the bees, and without using your smoker.  It holds up to 2 gallons of syrup, so it doesn't need filled as often.  The syrup is not accessible to the outside, so robbing won't be a problem.  It's also very easy to use.  Good luck with your bees.
      Leah Crosley

      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2002
        Michael Mundy wrote:

        > I have seen pictures of another method... turning some jars upside
        > down in an empty hive body. I want to do this as soon as possible.
        Do
        > you think it would be ok if I did that within only 2 or 3 days of
        my
        > last visit? Or do you think I should wait till a whole week has
        > passed? I understand that each visit is rather traumatic for the
        hive.

        Hi Michael

        This is my second year with bees so I remember well your feelings and
        concerns.
        After your bees are initially settled in I wouldn't worry about
        taking a look more than once a week to start with. The disturbance to
        the bees of being opened up is more than outweighed in the long term
        by your quickly learning how to handle them confidently. Keep
        inspections to a minimum time but don't worry at all about opening
        the lid to fit and refill a top feeder.

        Have lots of fun!
        Beekeeping is a wonderful obsession!

        Richard
        (Berkshire, UK)
      • typicaldrone
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2002
          Shanta McBain <shanta@f...> wrote:
          > The stings are
          > vary good for you. There is a lot of conditions that respond well
          from
          > bee stings. Auto immune disorders, like arthritis, fibro myalgia,
          MS,
          > etc. It generally builds the immune system. The opposite of
          > vaccinations, and antibiotics etc.

          Hi Shanta

          I am interested in your comments about bee venom and MS. I suffer
          with relapsing-remitting MS, fortunatly with almost no long term
          disability, but I used to get at least 2 relapses per year. Since
          keeping bees, this is only my second season, I have had NONE!
          (possibly coincidence)

          Do you know of any studies that are working on venom in MS or any
          research?

          Richard
          (Berkshire, UK)
        • typicaldrone
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2002
            Shanta McBain <shanta@f...> wrote:
            > The stings are
            > vary good for you. There is a lot of conditions that respond well
            from
            > bee stings. Auto immune disorders, like arthritis, fibro myalgia,
            MS,
            > etc. It generally builds the immune system. The opposite of
            > vaccinations, and antibiotics etc.

            Hi Shanta

            I am interested in your comments about bee venom and MS. I suffer
            with relapsing-remitting MS, fortunatly with almost no long term
            disability, but I used to get at least 2 relapses per year. Since
            keeping bees, this is only my second season, I have had NONE!
            (possibly coincidence)

            Do you know of any studies that are working on venom in MS or any
            research?

            Richard
            (Berkshire, UK)
          • k0zmr
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2002
              Division board feeders are a pain. You have to make sure there is a
              piece of wood in the feeder that floats freely when you fill it. That
              gives the bees something to hang on to. I use them in nucs (4-5
              frames) that I'm going to be moving around. It is a hassle to fill
              them and to get them out.

              I'd recommend some sort of top feeder. Mann Lake has some good 3
              gallon feeders that are pretty indestructible. Don't waste time w/
              the 1 gallon size. The three gallon is about right for fall or spring
              feeding.

              I put the top feeder over an inner cover or migrating cover w/ a hole
              in it and then put an empty deep supper and telescoping cover over the
              whole thing to protect it from the elements and weather. The top
              feeder is nice because you can usually pull it off w/ having to suit
              up.
            • PalOfHim@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                In a message dated 5/1/2002 11:22:41 AM Central Standard Time, jleeper@... writes:

                Mann Lake has some good 3
                gallon feeders that are pretty indestructible.

                Do we have an Email addy for this company ??

                Zer
              • Chance C. Geurin
                Message 7 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                  On Wed, 1 May 2002 12:38:03 EDT, PalOfHim@... wrote:
                  >Do we have an Email addy for this company ??

                  http://www.mannlakeltd.com

                  Chance C. Geurin (chance@...)
                  Colorado Springs, Colorado
                  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
                • PalOfHim@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                    In a message dated 5/1/2002 12:09:21 PM Central Standard Time, chance@... writes:

                    http://www.mannlakeltd.com

                    Thanks !!  Oh yea !!  And I use to live in Colorado Springs !!

                    Zeruiah~
                  • Chance C. Geurin
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                      On Wed, 1 May 2002 13:36:26 EDT, PalOfHim@... wrote:
                      >Thanks !!  Oh yea !!  And I use to live in Colorado Springs !!

                      You're welcome!  Good place to live except for the drought we're having right now.  Hopefully we'll have enough wildflowers for the bees!  I'm new at this beekeeping thing myself (first year), but so far all is going well!  Knock on wood...

                      Chance C. Geurin (chance@...)
                      Colorado Springs, Colorado
                      Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
                    • Mark Coldiron
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                        > Hi Shanta
                        >
                        > I am interested in your comments about bee venom and MS. I suffer
                        > with relapsing-remitting MS, fortunatly with almost no long term
                        > disability, but I used to get at least 2 relapses per year. Since
                        > keeping bees, this is only my second season, I have had NONE!
                        > (possibly coincidence)
                        >
                        > Do you know of any studies that are working on venom in MS or any
                        > research?
                        >
                        > Richard
                        > (Berkshire, UK)

                        Subscribe to the following group. They have the info you want.

                        Mark in West Texas

                        SUBSCRIBE
                        subscribe to the list

                        JOIN
                        subscribe to the list

                        UNSUBSCRIBE
                        unsubscribe from the list

                        REMOVE
                        unsubscribe from the list

                        SUSPEND
                        suspends your account until you send a RESUME account

                        SUSPEND-xx
                        suspends your account for xx days or until you send
                        a RESUME command

                        RESUME
                        restarts your suspended account

                        SEARCH-xx
                        search messages from the past xx days
                        (xx is a number). Enter the text you wish
                        to find as the first line of the message
                        body

                        DIGEST
                        get detailed help for DIGEST commands

                        DIGEST-xx
                        set digest period to xx days (xx is a number) and
                        turn on digest mode

                        DIGEST-OFF
                        turn off digest mode

                        DIGEST-ON
                        resume digest mode using default or last selected period

                        RESEND
                        get a single digest message for the last 7 days of messages

                        RESEND-xx
                        get a single digest message for the last xx days of messages
                        (xx is a number)

                        STATS
                        Statistics

                        HELP
                        get help with list commands (this message)

                        If the subject of your message is anything other than one of the
                        above commands, the message is forwarded to everyone who has
                        subscribed to the mailing list.

                        A digest is a single MIME-encoded message containing the contents of
                        all the messages posted to the mailing list during the digest period.
                        If you send the DIGEST-xx command to the list, you will no longer
                        receive individual messages. Instead you will receive digest
                        messages at the specified interval. To resume receiving individual
                        messages, send the DIGEST-OFF command.

                        Kind regards,
                        Durk Ellison
                        Apitherapy-L owner/moderator
                        Durk.Ellison@...
                      • bbbayneus
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                          I have designed a feeder that holds up to six quarts of syrup and
                          takes the place of a super. It works along the same premise as a hive
                          entrance feeder, but it is protected from the elements and from
                          scavengers. I have been contemplating on selling them. If you would
                          like some pictures and a further description, drop me an e-mail at
                          bayne@....
                        • ME Smith
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2, 2002

                            Hi everyone!  My name is Emmy and I am a first year beekeeper in NC with a lot of questions that I hope you can help me with.  I installed my two hives about two weeks ago on Sunday April 21.  I have been feeding them sugar water with an outside jar feeder.  This seems to be doing the trick...both hives have been going through about a quart of sugar water every three or four days.  I went back into the hive this Monday to check things out.  I was impressed by all the work they had done.  Both hives had worked on about four or five frames.  Not really sure what I was seeing.  I know that none of the cells were capped but there were some with darker stuff in them and some with a light amber color.  I did see the queen on one of the frames so I quess everying was okay.  They seem to be working on the cells in a pretty organized fashion...the frames were all covered with either filled cells or the comb had been nicely drawn out.  Does it sound like everything is all right?  What is in the cells and how can I tell which is honey and which is brood.   My other major question is about space and when to add another brood chamber or start adding supers.  I was planning on going back into the hives two weeks from the last time.  Are they going to run out of room in the brood chamber by then?  Do I need to add another brood chamber or just start adding supers for honey?  Any advice would be appreciated!

                            Thanks so much;

                            Emmy

                            gypsygurley@...

                            Do You Yahoo!?