Re: [beekeeping] trouble with a division board feeder

  • PalOfHim@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30 11:17 AM
      In a message dated 4/30/2002 12:28:29 PM Central Standard Time, glenmorgan1@... writes:

      Thanks for your advice!!!

      Michael Mundy

      I use a one gallon plastic chicken waterer... filling the ring with marbles so that the bees don't drown....
      I wish I could tell you that it works for me... but MY bees have not even arrived yet !!!!!  Anyone else out there STILL waiting for their bees ?!?!?!?!

      Zeruiah~  Stover, MO
    • Shanta McBain
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 30 5:40 PM
        HI

        I am not sure what you mean by a devision board feeder. In our operation
        we use a feeder that is custom made to take the space of two combs in
        the box. We put it at the back of the colony. And yes they will fill it
        with bur comb unless you put what we call a boxicy. This is simply a
        small square wooden box cut to be a bee space smaller than the
        compartment of the feeder. We prime the boxicy with a short strip of
        foundation on the top of the boxicy. This stimulates the bees to build
        come in the same plane as the boxicy. The end result is we have a source
        for our comb honey and prevent them from filling the feeder with bur
        comb.

        The presence of the boxicy dose not get in the way of feeding except to
        slow down filling. Don't worry you will kill a few bees and you will get
        stung. Keep the dead bees to a min but don't fret it. The stings are
        vary good for you. There is a lot of conditions that respond well from
        bee stings. Auto immune disorders, like arthritis, fibro myalgia, MS,
        etc. It generally builds the immune system. The opposite of
        vaccinations, and antibiotics etc.

        The top feeder works well as well Just be sure that it is "inside" the
        hive. We use a old honey pail with holes punched in the lid. A
        corresponding but smaller hole in an wooden inner cover. The bucket is
        placed upside down with the holes in the hole in the inner cover. A
        empty supper is placed over this with you real inner cover (we use
        carpets) and the lid.

        You do not what to place the feeder outside of the hive as it will
        promote robbing in the yard. Bees are much like people they would rather
        do it the easy way. And robbing other colonies of their honey is easier
        than foraging.

        Good luck with your bees and be sure to treat for foul brood and Varoa.
        Replace your queen each year and you will have many years of fun with
        your bees.

        Shanta McBain
        An Okanagan Bee Breeder
        http://shanta.org/cgi-bin/Apis/apis.cgi

        On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 10:26, glenmorgan1 wrote: Hello-

        I saw a website today about bee feeders. i just became a beekeeper a
        few weeks ago and chose the division board feeder at my local
        supplier here in Kansas City MO. I have been frustrated on my two
        recent visits to the hive when filling, because some of the bees
        don't climb out fast enough and get drowned! This is pure tragedy for
        me as a beginner. Also, by the end of the week, when I am ready to
        return, the bees have already built burr comb down into the feeder.
        Removing it is difficult and I think I am upsetting the bees... I
        can't blame them either!

        I have seen pictures of another method... turning some jars upside
        down in an empty hive body. I want to do this as soon as possible. Do
        you think it would be ok if I did that within only 2 or 3 days of my
        last visit? Or do you think I should wait till a whole week has
        passed? I understand that each visit is rather traumatic for the hive.

        Thanks for your advice!!!

        Michael Mundy

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Mark Coldiron
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30 5:55 PM
          A gallon jar placed over the hole in the inner cover is one of the best ways
          to go. It won't hurt anything to switch right away unless you just
          installed your bees as a package few days ago. Even then, I think it would
          be worse to leave the frame feeder in. They just don't work and have lotst
          of problems - as you're finding out. Be sure to fill the empty space with
          another frame of foundation or drawn comb.

          Mark in West Texas

          > I saw a website today about bee feeders. i just became a beekeeper a
          > few weeks ago and chose the division board feeder at my local
          > supplier here in Kansas City MO. I have been frustrated on my two
          > recent visits to the hive when filling, because some of the bees
          > don't climb out fast enough and get drowned! This is pure tragedy for
          > me as a beginner. Also, by the end of the week, when I am ready to
          > return, the bees have already built burr comb down into the feeder.
          > Removing it is difficult and I think I am upsetting the bees... I
          > can't blame them either!
          >
          > I have seen pictures of another method... turning some jars upside
          > down in an empty hive body. I want to do this as soon as possible. Do
          > you think it would be ok if I did that within only 2 or 3 days of my
          > last visit? Or do you think I should wait till a whole week has
          > passed? I understand that each visit is rather traumatic for the hive.
          >
          > Thanks for your advice!!!
          >
          > Michael Mundy

        • tlcrosley
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 30 8:24 PM
            Hi Michael,  I just got my first hive 4 days ago.  I spent the winter studying all the bee info I could get my hands on.  For feeders, after looking at what's available, I chose a hive-top feeder that I ordered from bee-commerce.com  It has several advantages over other feeders.  You can fill it without disturbing the bees, and without using your smoker.  It holds up to 2 gallons of syrup, so it doesn't need filled as often.  The syrup is not accessible to the outside, so robbing won't be a problem.  It's also very easy to use.  Good luck with your bees.
            Leah Crosley

            about bee feeders. i just became a beekeeper a
            > few weeks ago and chose
            the division board feeder at my local
            > supplier here in Kansas City MO.
            I have been frustrated on my two
            > recent visits to the hive when
            filling, because some of the bees
            > don't climb out fast enough and get
            drowned! This is pure tragedy for
            > me as a beginner. Also, by the end of
            the week, when I am ready to
            > return, the bees have already built burr
            comb down into the feeder.
            > Removing it is difficult and I think I am
            upsetting the bees... I
            > can't blame them either!

            have seen pictures of another method... turning some jars upside
            > down
            in an empty hive body. I want to do this as soon as possible. Do
            > you
            think it would be ok if I did that within only 2 or 3 days of my
            > last
            visit? Or do you think I should wait till a whole week has
            > passed? I
            understand that each visit is rather traumatic for the hive.

            Thanks for your advice!!!

            > Michael Mundy

            ---------------------~-->
            > Buy Stock for $4
            > and no
            minimums.
            > FREE Money 2002.

            href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/1DYolB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/1DYolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • typicaldrone
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2002
              Michael Mundy wrote:

              > I have seen pictures of another method... turning some jars upside
              > down in an empty hive body. I want to do this as soon as possible.
              Do
              > you think it would be ok if I did that within only 2 or 3 days of
              my
              > last visit? Or do you think I should wait till a whole week has
              > passed? I understand that each visit is rather traumatic for the
              hive.

              Hi Michael

              This is my second year with bees so I remember well your feelings and
              concerns.
              After your bees are initially settled in I wouldn't worry about
              taking a look more than once a week to start with. The disturbance to
              the bees of being opened up is more than outweighed in the long term
              by your quickly learning how to handle them confidently. Keep
              inspections to a minimum time but don't worry at all about opening
              the lid to fit and refill a top feeder.

              Have lots of fun!
              Beekeeping is a wonderful obsession!

              Richard
              (Berkshire, UK)
            • typicaldrone
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                Shanta McBain <shanta@f...> wrote:
                > The stings are
                > vary good for you. There is a lot of conditions that respond well
                from
                > bee stings. Auto immune disorders, like arthritis, fibro myalgia,
                MS,
                > etc. It generally builds the immune system. The opposite of
                > vaccinations, and antibiotics etc.

                Hi Shanta

                I am interested in your comments about bee venom and MS. I suffer
                with relapsing-remitting MS, fortunatly with almost no long term
                disability, but I used to get at least 2 relapses per year. Since
                keeping bees, this is only my second season, I have had NONE!
                (possibly coincidence)

                Do you know of any studies that are working on venom in MS or any
                research?

                Richard
                (Berkshire, UK)
              • typicaldrone
                Message 7 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                  Shanta McBain <shanta@f...> wrote:
                  > The stings are
                  > vary good for you. There is a lot of conditions that respond well
                  from
                  > bee stings. Auto immune disorders, like arthritis, fibro myalgia,
                  MS,
                  > etc. It generally builds the immune system. The opposite of
                  > vaccinations, and antibiotics etc.

                  Hi Shanta

                  I am interested in your comments about bee venom and MS. I suffer
                  with relapsing-remitting MS, fortunatly with almost no long term
                  disability, but I used to get at least 2 relapses per year. Since
                  keeping bees, this is only my second season, I have had NONE!
                  (possibly coincidence)

                  Do you know of any studies that are working on venom in MS or any
                  research?

                  Richard
                  (Berkshire, UK)
                • k0zmr
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                    Division board feeders are a pain. You have to make sure there is a
                    piece of wood in the feeder that floats freely when you fill it. That
                    gives the bees something to hang on to. I use them in nucs (4-5
                    frames) that I'm going to be moving around. It is a hassle to fill
                    them and to get them out.

                    I'd recommend some sort of top feeder. Mann Lake has some good 3
                    gallon feeders that are pretty indestructible. Don't waste time w/
                    the 1 gallon size. The three gallon is about right for fall or spring
                    feeding.

                    I put the top feeder over an inner cover or migrating cover w/ a hole
                    in it and then put an empty deep supper and telescoping cover over the
                    whole thing to protect it from the elements and weather. The top
                    feeder is nice because you can usually pull it off w/ having to suit
                    up.
                  • PalOfHim@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                      In a message dated 5/1/2002 11:22:41 AM Central Standard Time, jleeper@... writes:

                      Mann Lake has some good 3
                      gallon feeders that are pretty indestructible.

                      Do we have an Email addy for this company ??

                      Zer
                    • Chance C. Geurin
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                        On Wed, 1 May 2002 12:38:03 EDT, PalOfHim@... wrote:
                        >Do we have an Email addy for this company ??

                        http://www.mannlakeltd.com

                        Chance C. Geurin (chance@...)
                        Colorado Springs, Colorado
                        Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
                      • PalOfHim@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                          In a message dated 5/1/2002 12:09:21 PM Central Standard Time, chance@... writes:

                          http://www.mannlakeltd.com

                          Thanks !!  Oh yea !!  And I use to live in Colorado Springs !!

                          Zeruiah~
                        • Chance C. Geurin
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                            On Wed, 1 May 2002 13:36:26 EDT, PalOfHim@... wrote:
                            >Thanks !!  Oh yea !!  And I use to live in Colorado Springs !!

                            You're welcome!  Good place to live except for the drought we're having right now.  Hopefully we'll have enough wildflowers for the bees!  I'm new at this beekeeping thing myself (first year), but so far all is going well!  Knock on wood...

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                              > Hi Shanta
                              >
                              > I am interested in your comments about bee venom and MS. I suffer
                              > with relapsing-remitting MS, fortunatly with almost no long term
                              > disability, but I used to get at least 2 relapses per year. Since
                              > keeping bees, this is only my second season, I have had NONE!
                              > (possibly coincidence)
                              >
                              > Do you know of any studies that are working on venom in MS or any
                              > research?
                              >
                              > Richard
                              > (Berkshire, UK)

                              Subscribe to the following group. They have the info you want.

                              Mark in West Texas

                              SUBSCRIBE
                              subscribe to the list

                              JOIN
                              subscribe to the list

                              UNSUBSCRIBE
                              unsubscribe from the list

                              REMOVE
                              unsubscribe from the list

                              SUSPEND
                              suspends your account until you send a RESUME account

                              SUSPEND-xx
                              suspends your account for xx days or until you send
                              a RESUME command

                              RESUME
                              restarts your suspended account

                              SEARCH-xx
                              search messages from the past xx days
                              (xx is a number). Enter the text you wish
                              to find as the first line of the message
                              body

                              DIGEST
                              get detailed help for DIGEST commands

                              DIGEST-xx
                              set digest period to xx days (xx is a number) and
                              turn on digest mode

                              DIGEST-OFF
                              turn off digest mode

                              DIGEST-ON
                              resume digest mode using default or last selected period

                              RESEND
                              get a single digest message for the last 7 days of messages

                              RESEND-xx
                              get a single digest message for the last xx days of messages
                              (xx is a number)

                              STATS
                              Statistics

                              HELP
                              get help with list commands (this message)

                              If the subject of your message is anything other than one of the
                              above commands, the message is forwarded to everyone who has
                              subscribed to the mailing list.

                              A digest is a single MIME-encoded message containing the contents of
                              all the messages posted to the mailing list during the digest period.
                              If you send the DIGEST-xx command to the list, you will no longer
                              receive individual messages. Instead you will receive digest
                              messages at the specified interval. To resume receiving individual
                              messages, send the DIGEST-OFF command.

                              Kind regards,
                              Durk Ellison
                              Apitherapy-L owner/moderator
                              Durk.Ellison@...
                            • bbbayneus
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 1, 2002
                                I have designed a feeder that holds up to six quarts of syrup and
                                takes the place of a super. It works along the same premise as a hive
                                entrance feeder, but it is protected from the elements and from
                                scavengers. I have been contemplating on selling them. If you would
                                like some pictures and a further description, drop me an e-mail at
                                bayne@....
                              • ME Smith
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 2, 2002

                                  Hi everyone!  My name is Emmy and I am a first year beekeeper in NC with a lot of questions that I hope you can help me with.  I installed my two hives about two weeks ago on Sunday April 21.  I have been feeding them sugar water with an outside jar feeder.  This seems to be doing the trick...both hives have been going through about a quart of sugar water every three or four days.  I went back into the hive this Monday to check things out.  I was impressed by all the work they had done.  Both hives had worked on about four or five frames.  Not really sure what I was seeing.  I know that none of the cells were capped but there were some with darker stuff in them and some with a light amber color.  I did see the queen on one of the frames so I quess everying was okay.  They seem to be working on the cells in a pretty organized fashion...the frames were all covered with either filled cells or the comb had been nicely drawn out.  Does it sound like everything is all right?  What is in the cells and how can I tell which is honey and which is brood.   My other major question is about space and when to add another brood chamber or start adding supers.  I was planning on going back into the hives two weeks from the last time.  Are they going to run out of room in the brood chamber by then?  Do I need to add another brood chamber or just start adding supers for honey?  Any advice would be appreciated!

                                  Thanks so much;

                                  Emmy

                                  gypsygurley@...

                                  Do You Yahoo!?