Re: [beekeeping] Digest Number 239

  • wtroyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2002
      > My question is; When we cut the hay this summer....
      > how close do we dare get to the hives ??

      Hi, The bees will definitely let you know if you get too close with the
      mower...grin. I mow about 5 ft in out from the front for hives among the
      trees and sometimes right up to the hives for those out in the open.
      However, I am careful to mow like that only on sunny days with lots of
      pollen/nectar gathering. I never mow on windy dark days.

      > And, how on earth are we going to keep the grasses around
      > the hives managable ?? Or should we even worry about them ??

      I let the grass grow rather long right in front of hives among the
      trees. The bees are rather clever at finding their way out. I also use
      multiple entrances in the brood boxes and elevated platforms for the
      hives which places the bottom board 1 ft above ground. Hope this helps.

      Wade
      --
      Web Site: http://www.honeyhillfarm.com
      E-mail: beekeeper@...