Small Supers?

  • Sharon Lee
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27 1:45 PM
      Hi all,
      I recently posted that I had added the first small supers on my two
      hives, about two weeks ago.
      Last night while I was putting on a Sticky board, I looked into the
      small supers, and so far the bees haven't drawn out any foundation.
      Is this a normal time for them or are they just not ready to draw it
      out, meaning the top Large Hive body isn't ready and they are still
      working on it?
      Since I am new to all of this, I am really in the dark about how long
      it takes for them to move up into the small super.
      I do know that there are a lot of bees in both hives.
      They are very well populated.
      I saw a lot of bees down below the Queen Excluder so I am not worried
      about them being weak or anything like that.
      I will check the Sticky Board tomorrow evening, but really don't
      anticapate seeing a lot of Varroa Mites. I just put it on as a
      precaution, just in case there are lots of Varroa Mites.
      Any answers out there in Yahoo Bee Group Land?
      Sharon
    • Phil Moss
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27 2:38 PM
        Hi Sharon,

        I'm relatively new at this too....but I'm betting they weren't ready
        for the super yet. When I've added a super it hasn't taken them more
        than 2 weeks to pretty well have it completely drawn out and beginning
        to put honey in it.

        I've been adding supers when the one they are working on is about 3/4
        full of honey. not sure if this is right..but it seems to be working
        for me. I inspect my hives once a week....every Sunday.

        I also notice you mentioned the queen excluder. I don't use a queen
        excluder. I had read that it will 'slow down' the other bees as well.
        I decided to add a 2nd deep hive body on my hives....that way the odds
        of the queen needing to move on up into supers from 2 hive bodies
        probably dosen't happen. I can still harvest some of the frames in the
        2nd deep hive body just by inspecting and not removing brood
        frames....just those filled with honey....otherwise I'll just leave it
        for the bees to use.

        phil
        tyny.com

        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Lee" <lockha885@a...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I recently posted that I had added the first small supers on my two
        > hives, about two weeks ago.
        > Last night while I was putting on a Sticky board, I looked into the
        > small supers, and so far the bees haven't drawn out any foundation.
        > Is this a normal time for them or are they just not ready to draw it
        > out, meaning the top Large Hive body isn't ready and they are still
        > working on it?
        > Since I am new to all of this, I am really in the dark about how long
        > it takes for them to move up into the small super.
        > I do know that there are a lot of bees in both hives.
        > They are very well populated.
        > I saw a lot of bees down below the Queen Excluder so I am not worried
        > about them being weak or anything like that.
        > I will check the Sticky Board tomorrow evening, but really don't
        > anticapate seeing a lot of Varroa Mites. I just put it on as a
        > precaution, just in case there are lots of Varroa Mites.
        > Any answers out there in Yahoo Bee Group Land?
        > Sharon
      • D.O.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27 2:53 PM
          Yeah, we've discussed "honey excluders" here a bit.
          This is my first year, and I have two hives--both from
          wild swarms. The first hive was captured the first
          week of April and is very strong. They started out
          with one deep hive body. I've since added a deep
          super, and recently a medium super.

          The medium super is nearly ready for the bees to cap.
          Almost every cell has golden honey in it. I did't see
          any brood. I noticed that the patter immediately below
          the medium super has a couple inches of honey around
          the top band, which I'm told is a natural queen
          excluder--she won't go past it.

          My experience is similar to Phil's: two weeks to draw
          it out and other week or two to get it filled.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Jon McFadden
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27 2:53 PM
            Hi Sharon,
            Apparently they don't need the room, yet. If they
            don't have a good nectar flow going, they won't
            anything with the foundation except borrow a little
            for other needs.
            As a rule I don't put foundation on hives after the
            days begin to shorten. I don't know if there is
            scientific support for this or if other beekeepers
            follow this practice, but its the way I was taught.
            Jon

            --- Sharon Lee <lockha885@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I recently posted that I had added the first small
            > supers on my two
            > hives, about two weeks ago.
            > Last night while I was putting on a Sticky board, I
            > looked into the
            > small supers, and so far the bees haven't drawn out
            > any foundation.
            > Is this a normal time for them or are they just not
            > ready to draw it
            > out, meaning the top Large Hive body isn't ready and
            > they are still
            > working on it?
            > Since I am new to all of this, I am really in the
            > dark about how long
            > it takes for them to move up into the small super.
            > I do know that there are a lot of bees in both
            > hives.
            > They are very well populated.
            > I saw a lot of bees down below the Queen Excluder so
            > I am not worried
            > about them being weak or anything like that.
            > I will check the Sticky Board tomorrow evening, but
            > really don't
            > anticapate seeing a lot of Varroa Mites. I just put
            > it on as a
            > precaution, just in case there are lots of Varroa
            > Mites.
            > Any answers out there in Yahoo Bee Group Land?
            > Sharon

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mike Gillmore
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 27 6:34 PM
              Sharon,

              I recently went through a similar experience with one of my hives. It was a
              swarm that had I captured early this spring and it has been going very
              strong. When they had about 8 of the frames drawn on the second deep and the
              population seemed very strong I added a queen excluded and a super with
              plastic foundation only. Ten days later I checked it and they had not
              touched the super at all. Taking the advice of another beekeeper in my
              Association I removed the queen excluder for 5 days and checked it again.
              Sure enough ... they had begun to draw on several frames but the queen had
              not yet laid any eggs in the super. I then replaced the queen excluder under
              the super, and now 2 weeks later I have about 5 capped frames of honey. I
              was told that sometimes if they bees are allowed to begin to draw the
              foundation unrestricted that they will then continue when the excluder is
              added... but they need to get that jumpstart. It's worth a shot.... it
              worked for me.

              Mike

              > I recently posted that I had added the first small supers on my two
              > hives, about two weeks ago.
              > Last night while I was putting on a Sticky board, I looked into the
              > small supers, and so far the bees haven't drawn out any foundation.
              > Is this a normal time for them or are they just not ready to draw it
              > out, meaning the top Large Hive body isn't ready and they are still
              > working on it?
              > Since I am new to all of this, I am really in the dark about how long
              > it takes for them to move up into the small super.
              > I do know that there are a lot of bees in both hives.
              > They are very well populated.
              > I saw a lot of bees down below the Queen Excluder so I am not worried
              > about them being weak or anything like that.
              > I will check the Sticky Board tomorrow evening, but really don't
              > anticapate seeing a lot of Varroa Mites. I just put it on as a
              > precaution, just in case there are lots of Varroa Mites.
              > Any answers out there in Yahoo Bee Group Land?
              > Sharon
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Sharon Lee
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 27 7:56 PM
                Thanks Mike,
                I will give that a try.
                I guess anything is worth a try when you are up against a wall, and
                my wall may well be the Queen Excluder.
                Others have suggested I not use it, and I didn't listen, so maybe I
                should start to listen to the others who have a lot more experience
                than I, right?
                Anyway, tomorrow the Queen Excluders come off.
                Sharon

                --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Gillmore" <magfamhist@s...>

              • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 27 8:21 PM
                  In a message dated 7/27/2005 9:58:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time, lockha885@... writes:
                  Thanks Mike,
                  I will give that a try.
                  I guess anything is worth a try when you are up against a wall, and
                  my wall may well be the Queen Excluder.
                  Others have suggested I not use it, and I didn't listen, so maybe I
                  should start to listen to the others who have a lot more experience
                  than I, right?
                  Anyway, tomorrow the Queen Excluders come off.
                  Sharon

                  Sammy Replies:  The only thing I find a queen excluder good for is confining a queen in an area for the eggs when I am grafting.

                  Sammy
                  Our web site: http://www.brownsbees.com http://brownsapiaries.com/
                  Other screen names I can be reached at: sammy@..., farmerbrown49@..., ASamBrown@... Host your Web site with BizLand!
                • Scot Mc Pherson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
                    excluders are funny things. In a way they divide the hive, and not just for the queen. if you put all new fresh equipment on the other side of the excluder, the bees have really no reason to think its part of their nest. Drag a frame of brood up though, bees and all, and ouila there they go. I don't like excluders at all, and the only thing I really see their usefullness is when using them as queen includers for new swarms, package or queen installations.

                    Scot Mc Pherson
                    McPherson Family Honey Farms
                    http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
                    http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
                  • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
                      In a message dated 8/1/2005 10:47:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time, scot.mcpherson@... writes:
                      excluders are funny things. In a way they divide the hive, and not just for the queen. if you put all new fresh equipment on the other side of the excluder, the bees have really no reason to think its part of their nest. Drag a frame of brood up though, bees and all, and ouila there they go. I don't like excluders at all, and the only thing I really see their usefullness is when using them as queen includers for new swarms, package or queen installations.
                      Sammy Replies:  Be careful about moving brood above the excluder if there are eggs in it the bees may start queen cells up there.  By the way that is a good way to raise a few queens.