Re: [beekeeping] Proximity of horses/ donkey to beehives

  • Julia Graham
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 11:46 AM
      At 12:30 AM 3/26/2002 +0000, phoebefarm wrote:

      Hello,

         I am a novice, currently in "bee school" after having joined out
      local beekeeper's society.  I am hoping to establish two hives this
      year and had a question about location with relation to
      horses/donkeys. When I had asked about locating hives during class an
      experience of bees becoming aggressive when the hive was located near
      a horse paddock was related. No one was sure how far away would be a
      good distance to locate away from horse areas.  I would appreciate
      any experiences/advice.

                   thank you,

      Hello Mary,
      I have bees AND a horse in my pasture.  And my horse is a blue roan (so he falls under the heading of "dark and fuzzy" which is something that's supposed to set bees off).  I've never had a problem with either bothering each other, but I DO have a small electric fence around the hive (about 4 feet on all sides) so that Dakota (my horse) doesn't get curious and start chewing on the boxes.  Horses are VERY allergic to bee stings (they can be fatal if enough bees sting), so I figured I'd be cautious.  Besides, we're in bear country, so an electric fence was sorta important for that too.
      The bees have never minded him, even when he's been right outside the fence.

      Julia
      Elk River, CA (south of Eureka in far northern California)
    • grizzly bearnolds
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 5:05 PM
        >From: Julia Graham <jlg7001@...>
        >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002
        >Subject: Re: [beekeeping] Proximity of horses/ donkey to beehives

        From experience, I can only confirm Julia's statements. All seem to well
        co-exist side by side at my place.

        However, people on bee email lists have reported problems with
        riders/horses and bees.

        Ma. .. North Pacific Coast, British Columbia, CANADA
        Internet photo sharing (bees, other) .... Guest Password: northcanyon
        http://www.photoisland.com/servlet/GuestLogin?USERNAME=mkittner