Re: Proximity of horses/ donkey to beehives

  • homesteed
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
      Welcome to beekeeping. It sounds like your on the right track so far.
      The best place to learn beekeeping is from an old timer that has been
      at it for a long time. Get to know them at your beekeeping meetings.

      Here is our experiance with livestock and bees. We have our hives
      located about five feet from a regular wire farm fence on the north
      side. The hives face south. We have donkeys in the north lot. On
      the south side we ran a single electric wire fence about four feet
      away. In the south lot we have cattle. We have had no problems with
      agressive bees. The bees don't bother the livestock. They just
      ignore each other.

      We get barn swallows in a nearby barn in the summer. We have noticed
      that the bees chase these. Yes, that's right the bees chase the birds.

      Happy beekeeping,
      Jeff
      in IN

      > I am a novice, currently in "bee school" after having joined out
      > local beekeeper's society. I am hoping to establish two hives this
      > year and had a question about location with relation to
      > horses/donkeys. When I had asked about locating hives during class an
      > experience of bees becoming aggressive when the hive was located near
      > a horse paddock was related. No one was sure how far away would be a
      > good distance to locate away from horse areas. I would appreciate
      > any experiences/advice.
      >
      > thank you,
      >
      > Mary Hubbard
      >
      > Phoebe Farm
      > Rowley, Massachusetts
      >
      > phoebe-farm@p...
    • Karen Oland
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
        In the last two weeks, a beekeeper was killed in New Zealand (if I remember
        correctly the press release) when one of two hives living in the stable
        started attackin her horses (no witnesses to attack on person, but to ealier
        horse attack and noise from stables that caused owner to go down to
        investigate.

        I would say that was too close.

        Others have reported problems with sweaty horses nearby or with specific fly
        sprays on horses. If you stay a few hundred yards away, you should be fine.
        If truly paranoid, you could stay 5 miles away.
      • Julia Graham
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          At 12:30 AM 3/26/2002 +0000, phoebefarm wrote:

          Hello,

             I am a novice, currently in "bee school" after having joined out
          local beekeeper's society.  I am hoping to establish two hives this
          year and had a question about location with relation to
          horses/donkeys. When I had asked about locating hives during class an
          experience of bees becoming aggressive when the hive was located near
          a horse paddock was related. No one was sure how far away would be a
          good distance to locate away from horse areas.  I would appreciate
          any experiences/advice.

                       thank you,

          Hello Mary,
          I have bees AND a horse in my pasture.  And my horse is a blue roan (so he falls under the heading of "dark and fuzzy" which is something that's supposed to set bees off).  I've never had a problem with either bothering each other, but I DO have a small electric fence around the hive (about 4 feet on all sides) so that Dakota (my horse) doesn't get curious and start chewing on the boxes.  Horses are VERY allergic to bee stings (they can be fatal if enough bees sting), so I figured I'd be cautious.  Besides, we're in bear country, so an electric fence was sorta important for that too.
          The bees have never minded him, even when he's been right outside the fence.

          Julia
          Elk River, CA (south of Eureka in far northern California)
        • grizzly bearnolds
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            >From: Julia Graham <jlg7001@...>
            >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002
            >Subject: Re: [beekeeping] Proximity of horses/ donkey to beehives

            From experience, I can only confirm Julia's statements. All seem to well
            co-exist side by side at my place.

            However, people on bee email lists have reported problems with
            riders/horses and bees.

            Ma. .. North Pacific Coast, British Columbia, CANADA
            Internet photo sharing (bees, other) .... Guest Password: northcanyon
            http://www.photoisland.com/servlet/GuestLogin?USERNAME=mkittner