Re: [beekeeping] Proximity of horses/ donkey to beehives

  • grizzly bearnolds
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29 8:18 PM
      >From: "phoebefarm" <phoebe-farm@...>
      >Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002
      >Subject: [beekeeping] Proximity of horses/ donkey to beehives

      >No one was sure how far away would be a good distance to locate away from
      >horse areas.

      Hi Mary. We have been keeping a few beehives, and also have a donkey, a
      pony, and a mare on our place, all pretty close together and this for a
      long time, ten years or more.

      Generally we found bees and equines do not bother each other much. I don't
      of course have the hives right in the paddock or in their grazing area, but
      at times, the trio gets loose and they charge past the beehouse.

      I find bees during the summer in the paddock and also they are in the wet
      sandy spots where the trio went to the bathroom.

      Generally they all co-exist nicely together with no apparent problems. At
      our place at least. On the other email lists I am on, people have reported
      that bees attack riders or horses, I guess it all would depend on the
      circumstances.

      Ma. .. North Pacific Coast, British Columbia, CANADA
      Internet photo sharing (bees, other) .... Guest Password: northcanyon
      http://www.photoisland.com/servlet/GuestLogin?USERNAME=mkittner
    • homesteed
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30 5:55 AM
        Welcome to beekeeping. It sounds like your on the right track so far.
        The best place to learn beekeeping is from an old timer that has been
        at it for a long time. Get to know them at your beekeeping meetings.

        Here is our experiance with livestock and bees. We have our hives
        located about five feet from a regular wire farm fence on the north
        side. The hives face south. We have donkeys in the north lot. On
        the south side we ran a single electric wire fence about four feet
        away. In the south lot we have cattle. We have had no problems with
        agressive bees. The bees don't bother the livestock. They just
        ignore each other.

        We get barn swallows in a nearby barn in the summer. We have noticed
        that the bees chase these. Yes, that's right the bees chase the birds.

        Happy beekeeping,
        Jeff
        in IN

        > I am a novice, currently in "bee school" after having joined out
        > local beekeeper's society. I am hoping to establish two hives this
        > year and had a question about location with relation to
        > horses/donkeys. When I had asked about locating hives during class an
        > experience of bees becoming aggressive when the hive was located near
        > a horse paddock was related. No one was sure how far away would be a
        > good distance to locate away from horse areas. I would appreciate
        > any experiences/advice.
        >
        > thank you,
        >
        > Mary Hubbard
        >
        > Phoebe Farm
        > Rowley, Massachusetts
        >
        > phoebe-farm@p...
      • Karen Oland
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30 8:31 PM
          In the last two weeks, a beekeeper was killed in New Zealand (if I remember
          correctly the press release) when one of two hives living in the stable
          started attackin her horses (no witnesses to attack on person, but to ealier
          horse attack and noise from stables that caused owner to go down to
          investigate.

          I would say that was too close.

          Others have reported problems with sweaty horses nearby or with specific fly
          sprays on horses. If you stay a few hundred yards away, you should be fine.
          If truly paranoid, you could stay 5 miles away.
        • Julia Graham
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            At 12:30 AM 3/26/2002 +0000, phoebefarm wrote:

            Hello,

               I am a novice, currently in "bee school" after having joined out
            local beekeeper's society.  I am hoping to establish two hives this
            year and had a question about location with relation to
            horses/donkeys. When I had asked about locating hives during class an
            experience of bees becoming aggressive when the hive was located near
            a horse paddock was related. No one was sure how far away would be a
            good distance to locate away from horse areas.  I would appreciate
            any experiences/advice.

                         thank you,

            Hello Mary,
            I have bees AND a horse in my pasture.  And my horse is a blue roan (so he falls under the heading of "dark and fuzzy" which is something that's supposed to set bees off).  I've never had a problem with either bothering each other, but I DO have a small electric fence around the hive (about 4 feet on all sides) so that Dakota (my horse) doesn't get curious and start chewing on the boxes.  Horses are VERY allergic to bee stings (they can be fatal if enough bees sting), so I figured I'd be cautious.  Besides, we're in bear country, so an electric fence was sorta important for that too.
            The bees have never minded him, even when he's been right outside the fence.

            Julia
            Elk River, CA (south of Eureka in far northern California)
          • grizzly bearnolds
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              >From: Julia Graham <jlg7001@...>
              >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002
              >Subject: Re: [beekeeping] Proximity of horses/ donkey to beehives

              From experience, I can only confirm Julia's statements. All seem to well
              co-exist side by side at my place.

              However, people on bee email lists have reported problems with
              riders/horses and bees.