Weak hives

  • Nizam Raqib
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2005
      Hi,
      I'm a small beekeeper in Upstate, Ny (9 hives) and I have a dilemma in my
      bee yard. I have my hives arranged in 2 rows (5 on one side 4 on the other),
      all entrances facing toward the center. I staggered my hives in each row to
      prevent drifting. Today on examining my hives I found in the row of 5 the
      first 2 not up to par and in the other row the first one not up to par. The
      remaining 6 are all very strong with 2 supers on. The weak ones have yet to
      fill the upper hive body. I gave the weak ones a frame of sealed brood from
      the other hives but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do
      and also what might be causing this situation.

      Thanks,

      Nizam
    • Nizam Raqib
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2005
        Hi Jim,
         I'm in Oneonta, Ny ....2 of the weak hives are 2 years old and the third is a package I started this year.

                                                                                                           Nizam

      • James A. Ward
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
          Nizam,

          Where in Upstate are you?  I am near Cazenovia.  I have 5 hives currently and 2 potential swarm removals (1 from a house and 1 from a tree).  How old are the weak hives?

          Peace,
          Jim

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2005
            --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Nizam Raqib" <nraqib@d...> wrote:
            > Hi Jim,
            > I'm in Oneonta, Ny ....2 of the weak hives are 2 years old and the
            third is
            > a package I started this year.
            >

            > Nizam

            Well, 2 yr old hives, you might consider requeening. Are they weak
            for the time of year or just weak compared to the other hives?

            The package might just be off to a slow start, how is the brood pattern?
            My take on it is: for packages, they start out in caos, give them all
            the boost you can. So I feed continusly for the 1st year.